Filter By Epic Name Not Working

Stephanie Redmon May 28, 2020

I am trying to create a filter in Jira using an epic name so that I can then use that filter to pull the issues in an epic into a cofluence page. If I add the epic to confluence it only shows the link to the epic and not all the child issues. When I select Epic Name and then enter the name it says there are no issues but there are issues associated with it Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 5.08.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-28 at 5.15.17 PM.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bharath Kumar Kappala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2020

@Stephanie Redmon Welcome to the community!

You would be using Epic Link in this case to get the list of all the child tickets of the Epic, below is a exmaple

"Epic Link" = TEST-123

hope this helps!

Stephanie Redmon May 28, 2020

When I do that it just says no search results found. Maybe it's a bug? I've done it by link and by name and it just says no search results found even though the epic and issues in the epic exist. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 7.35.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 7.33.57 PM.png

Like jeevanadarajah likes this
Bharath Kumar Kappala
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2020

I guess you dont have any issues under the epic, if you have any they should definitely show if you use this JQL. 

Here is a link for the documentation on what is the difference between Epic Link and Epic Name - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/epic-name-vs-epic-link-779158632.html hope this would be useful.

Stephanie Redmon May 29, 2020

I do have issues under the epic- 5 of them you can see in the below screenshot. I'm doing everything it says to do there is some sort of bug. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.27.48 AM.png

Bharath Kumar Kappala
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2020

I can try taking a look at your Jira instance and help you if you still need help.

Please send me a meeting invite to my email: bhharath1230@gmail.com  I am happy to help you I do this everyday so feel free to sometime I am available all day today.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2020

Hello @Stephanie Redmon

I'm not sure if you were able to fix this behavior, but analyzing your screenshots it seems you are using a Next-gen project.

Next-gen projects use a different architecture than Classic projects, so you should use the field "Parent" in your JQL to properly return the Epic issues:

Parent = PTL-49

Can you confirm if it works for you?

Like # people like this
Rajat Gupta October 16, 2020

Don't know about him but this works for me. Thanks mate :)

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Angus Aird April 8, 2021

This Nextgen looks like step back to me but it will do the job

Like Padraig McLarnon likes this
Padraig McLarnon November 4, 2021

Infuriatingly - this works.

Nimish Mittal April 9, 2022

@Petter GonçalvesThank You. It works for me

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
0 votes
Andrus Voolaine January 18, 2021

Hey Stephanie!

I have similar situation. In my case something is wrong in Jira by linking to epics in different ways.

I have an epic "Epic-1" which includes four tasks. All linked by Epic Link.  One of the tasks is further linked to another epic “Epic-2”, but by Issue Link.

If I make a query project = TKT AND "Epic Link" = Epic-1 I get three tickets as a result. That is wrong. When I delete the issue link with ticket Epic-2, I get four tickets.

0 votes
Scott November 15, 2020

I'm on this thread because of the same issue. I'm returning Epic link ie. ABC-123, however, epic colour, name & status remain empty 

Suggest an answer