Filling Story Point field automatically based on the value of a custom field

Pier Nicolò April 22, 2024

Hi everyone,

I recently created a T-Shirt Size custom field with some sizes inside, however, as Jira doesn't support the t-shirt sizes out of the box, moving from Story Points to sizes has the consequence to lose some important features that Jira has ootb, based on the Story Points value.

I was managing this manually, assigning a defined value for each size and manually populating the Story Point field during each estimation, but then I asked if there is a way to manage this automatically, using maybe the "Automation" function or something similar.

The ideal output is:

When someone selects a specific size from the custom field dropdown, the Story Point value for that issue is automatically updated following a similar mapping:

XS = 1

S = 2

M = 5

L = 10

The automation triggers any change to the T-Shirt Size field, updating the Story Point value.

Thanks ahead for your help

Pier

3 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2024

Hi @Pier Nicolò 

Yes, and...to the other answers suggested to do this with an automation rule:

I recommend using a Lookup Table for a scenario like this, eliminating the need for a list of if / else conditions.  Your team's mapping of t-shirt sizes to story points could be entered in a table with key / value pairs, allowing the rule to use this to set the field, where you may change to use your field names:

{{tableTShirtToStoryPoints.get(issue.TShirt Size.value)}}

Please look here to learn more about lookup tables: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Update-Create-lookup-table-action-improvements/ba-p/2427798

And also...How does the team use the t-shirt sizes after sizing?  If you do not need them, you could instead use one of the free (or paid) marketplace addons which help with planning poker or affinity sizing, supporting Fibonacci numbers, t-shirts, or whatever sizing is used.  Please look here to learn what is available: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/

Kind regards,
Bill

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2024

Hi @Pier Nicolò,

Since you only have 4 options, that is quite easy to set up. You can set up an automation rule that gets triggered by a field value changed trigger and could look somewhat like this:

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 17.17.43.png

Since I don't have a T-Shirt size field in my test site, I used the labels field for conditions instead, but replacing that with your field an conditions should do the trick.

Hope this helps! 

Hi @Walter Buggenhout

thanks for your advice, I was able to configure the automation as you suggested.

Thanks for your help,

Pier

0 votes
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2024

Hello @Pier Nicolò 

This is a pretty straight forward rule to implement and if you havent written rules before, a great way to get started, I will give you overview..

• Trigger = Field change, choose this dropdown
  • Condition - If/Else condition - Issue Field Condition - choose your dropdown, equals, XS, click Next, 
  • Then Add Action - edit issue - choose story points - give 1

Then you continue, with "Add Else" block, choose Issue fields condition etc..

Please try to implement and share rule and audit log if issues.

Thank you @Kalyan Sattaluri

it works 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events