Field 'summary' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.

Nitesh Rao Mummidi December 21, 2021

Hey,

I am trying to create an EPIC using JAVA Client but I am getting the following exception - Field 'summary' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.

can you tell me how to overcome this exception because Summary field is already enabled in the screens scheme

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021

Hi Nitesh - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you give some more details about the JAVA client you are using or the process you are actually using to create the issue. 

Nitesh Rao Mummidi December 27, 2021

I used the following dependencies

<dependency>
<groupId>com.atlassian.jira</groupId>
<artifactId>jira-rest-java-client-core</artifactId>
<version>5.2.0</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>io.atlassian.fugue</groupId>
<artifactId>fugue</artifactId>
<version>4.7.2</version>
</dependency>

And Made an authentication using the JIRA Token

and used the following to creating one EPIC

String issueKey = "";
try {
this.restClient = getJiraRestClient();
IssueRestClient issueClient = restClient.getIssueClient();
ProjectRestClient projectClient = restClient.getProjectClient();

IssueType issType = new IssueType(this.getJiraUri(),issueType,issueSummary,false,"",null);

IssueInputBuilder iib = new IssueInputBuilder();
iib.setProjectKey("EDX");
iib.setSummary("Test Summary");
iib.setIssueType(issType);
iib.setDescription("Test Description");
iib.setPriorityId(3L);
iib.setDueDate(new DateTime());

IssueInput issue = iib.build();
BasicIssue issueObj = issueClient.createIssue(issue).claim();

//return getIssue(issueKey);
return issueObj.getKey();
}
catch(Exception e) {
return issueKey;
}

Benedikt July 25, 2022

Any solution here? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2022

Hi Benedikt - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You should open a new question with the specifics of your problem. 

Like Benedikt likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2022

Make sure the summary is on the screen, and that the credentials for your REST call have the right to create issues in the project.

Like Benedikt likes this
Benedikt July 26, 2022

Adding here for anyone having similar issues:

In my case the screen had the field (seen in the screen configuration of the project and the relevant issue type). 

Next was using the permission helper to figure out other issues: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/jira-admin-helper-938847791.html 

It told me that the permissions were ok, but an error also mentioned to grant a Jira Service Management license to the account. This was the issue in my case. 

0 votes
Benedikt July 27, 2022

Adding here for anyone having similar issues:

In my case the screen had the field (seen in the screen configuration of the project and the relevant issue type). 

Next was using the permission helper to figure out other issues: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/jira-admin-helper-938847791.html 

It told me that the permissions were ok, but an error also mentioned to grant a Jira Service Management license to the account. This was the issue in my case. 

Suggest an answer