Field not importing to Jira from CSV - coming in blank

Tracy Osimowicz May 9, 2023

We have a field called Resolution_Summary we import daily into Jira via a CSV. It is mapped to the Resolution Summary field in Jira. We ran into an issue where it is importing every issue with this field blank even though they have text in that field in our CSV.

The mapping preview looks accurate and has a sample of the first row in the CSV as expected. We don't know why this is happening to just this field. 

Any ideas for troubleshooting?

2 answers

0 votes

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you!

Resolution Summary is a Custom Field in Jira. In the CSV, Resolution_Summary is either empty or a multi-line text field (with line breaks).

I'm not sure if I have access to view Import History, but I have a meeting with my team's Jira Admin tomorrow who likely does. I will provide in follow-up.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Hello @Tracy Osimowicz 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

What type of field is Resolution_Summary?

Is there any information related to that field in the import log file?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

The log for a given import session is available immediately after the import is completed. It needs to be downloaded at that time. I'm not aware of a way to get logs for import session at a later date.

Has it never worked or did it recently stop working?

Can you provide a sample of what the CSV contains when you have multi-line text to import?

This document contains an example of how to format multi-line text in your CSV file.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 11.47.40 AM.png

Gotcha. Then I will grab a copy of the logs when we do a fresh test import tomorrow then. I also want to make sure with my Admin that we redact as needed before sharing.

For my colleague who is having a similar issue with his Resolution Summary field, they say it never worked. For mine, I only noticed it recently and the person I inherited the task from says it used to work.

Here is a sample of the Resolution multiline text:

"Thank you for this feedback. If it is critical to have the changes reflected immediately, please email [REDACTED] and include the reason for expediting."

I came across this earlier as well. It looks correct to me. Here is how the resolution summary appears in the CSV text: 
Screenshot 2023-05-09 141956.png

Here is the CSV header for the field:
Screenshot 2023-05-09 141230.png

Tracy Osimowicz May 11, 2023

We discovered that the field only populates blank if you do a normal user import, but it populates with the expected text if a Jira Admin uses the Admin issue import. Very strange...

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events