Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Field context label

Jennifer Choban Marketplace Partner May 23, 2022

Hi,

I'm workin in Jira cloud, and am trying to use a field context to avoid creating too many custom fields. I can create the context and if I include a default value it works, but the field label on the issue show the generic name of the field rather the name I provided in the context. Am I missing a step?

context.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader May 23, 2022

Hi Jennifer,

The label is just for the context so you can keep them separate from each other. But you are not allowed to give the custom field a new label for the screen - it will always be the name of the custom field no matter how many contexts you have created for it. 

Jennifer Choban Marketplace Partner May 23, 2022

Thanks, John. Seems like it defeats the purpose of the context a bit, but good to know.

John Funk Community Leader May 23, 2022

The real purpose of the context in my opinion is to be able to provide the ability to have different sets of values for fields depending on the project or issue type. But I could be wrong. :-)

Like Guilhem Dupuy likes this
Jennifer Choban Marketplace Partner May 24, 2022

In my case I was using a date field, and trying to avoid creating another custom field.

John Funk Community Leader May 24, 2022

Right - which doesn't really lend itself to multiple contexts.  :-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

235 views 2 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you