Field context label

Jennifer Choban
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 23, 2022

Hi,

I'm workin in Jira cloud, and am trying to use a field context to avoid creating too many custom fields. I can create the context and if I include a default value it works, but the field label on the issue show the generic name of the field rather the name I provided in the context. Am I missing a step?

context.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

Hi Jennifer,

The label is just for the context so you can keep them separate from each other. But you are not allowed to give the custom field a new label for the screen - it will always be the name of the custom field no matter how many contexts you have created for it. 

Jennifer Choban
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 23, 2022

Thanks, John. Seems like it defeats the purpose of the context a bit, but good to know.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

The real purpose of the context in my opinion is to be able to provide the ability to have different sets of values for fields depending on the project or issue type. But I could be wrong. :-)

Like Guilhem Dupuy likes this
Jennifer Choban
Marketplace Partner
May 24, 2022

In my case I was using a date field, and trying to avoid creating another custom field.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2022

Right - which doesn't really lend itself to multiple contexts.  :-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events