Feature issue type between Epic and Story

devsuresh2005 May 27, 2021

Hi Team,

I am building a Jira Project for a software development team and they wanted an additional hierarchy as below,

Epic (A collection of feature which spans across multiple sprints and multiple releases)

--Feature (A collection of stories spans across multiple sprints but for each release)

-----Stories (A piece of development items completed within the sprint)

image.png

It make sense to me when they wanted an additional hierarchy that can be at the release level (I mean for each release). In our traditional way (Epic -> Stories) most of the time it will be multiple releases (maybe bi-weekly) because it takes months to complete all the stories under an epic and it's always been a nightmare to prepare the release cadance.

I looked for different options in Jira like,

1) Custom Hireracy using Advance Roadmap with this I can able create levels and map standard issue types above the Epic (like Initiatives and Themes) but I couldn't create one between Epic and Story.

2) I looked into the Structure add-on/plugin at the marketplace but it seems to be very costly and heavy.

How your team is managing the releases and the hierarchy apart from the regular fix-versions and grouping using release labels. Please share your thoughts and inputs, it will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

4 answers

7 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

Jira Software's hierarchy is Epic -> Issue -> Sub-task.  Atlassian themselves have said Epic is mis-named, it should be Feature, but changing its name is not trivial (and breaks some apps if you only rename the issue type).

Exactly as you've found, Advanced Roadmaps create layers above Epic, not between it and Issue.  Structure is the only app I'm aware of that does a decent job of making it look like there is something between Epic and Issue

1 vote
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 7, 2021

Hi @devsuresh2005

Perhaps you would like to consider BigPicture - Atlassian addon that was inspired by the SAFe framework.

Please have a look at the article "SAFe with Jira & BigPicture" to find out in what other areas (not only in building Epic - Feature - Story hierarchy) the plugin can facilitate your work.

If you have further questions, just tag me!

1 vote
Iryna Ihnatiuk _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

Hi @devsuresh2005 ,

You can meet your needs using SAFE Epic to Feature Translator app with Advanced Roadmaps.

1. SAFE Epic to Feature Translator helps you to change native Jira naming "epic" into "feature" (or whatever you want) everywhere in your Jira instance and saves native hierarchy: Feature (former Epic) → Story.

2. Create custom hireracy using Advance Roadmap. The only thing - you have to create a new issue type with some other name like "Portfolio Epic" or "Epic1" or anything else rather than exactly "Epic". Otherwise, there will be conflicts in Jira as it will consider them as duplicates.
Feel free to reach out support team if you need further information.

E2F + AdvR.pngScreenshot 2021-06-07 at 16.01.23.png

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 12, 2021

Hi @devsuresh2005 

If you're mainly looking to create an issue type called Feature between Epics and Stories, we created a plugin called Agile Docs which can help.

issue-type-between-epic-and-story.png

It lets you link your Feature to Epics and Stories in a parent-child relationship. It's relatively lightweight and the link will continue to exist even if you stop using the plugin so you don't risk losing your issue hierarchy.

Best Regards,

Rhys

Suggest an answer