Failed to validate a transition

Eduardo García Moreno September 8, 2022

Hello all. We have defined a workflow for 4 issues, in which we have included a validation for a transition, which validates that a value for field “Aceptado calidad” (Accepted quality) is provided during the transition.

Transición.jpg

This field is only defined in the screen of one of the issues - “Historia” (story), but the other 3 issues do not have this field.

Issue 1 Historia “story” with the field “Aceptado calidad” (Accepted quality).

Pantalla Historia.jpg 

Issue 2 Error "bug" without the field “Aceptado calidad” (Accepted quality).

Pantalla Error.jpg

Issue 3 Tarea "task" without the field “Aceptado calidad” (Accepted quality).

Pantalla Tarea.jpg 

I am testing if this validation works correctly and the result is the following:

- It works correctly for the issue “Historia” (story) that has the “Aceptado calidad” (Accepted quality) field defined.

- It works correctly for 2 of the issues that do not have that field defined.

- It does not work for the third issue “Tarea” (task) that does not have the “Aceptado calidad” (Accepted quality) field and when making the transition I get the error message that we have defined.

Board in which the task "prueba cancelación tarea desde pruebas" is in the "EN VALIDACIÓN" state.

Tablero.jpg

Definition of the task " prueba cancelación tarea desde pruebas" without the field “Aceptado calidad” (Accepted quality).

Tarea.jpg

When trying to make the transition of the task "prueba cancelación tarea desde pruebas" from the status "EN VALIDACIÓN" to the status "EN DESARROLLO" I get the error "The story is not accepted by Quality Assurance.", which should not give me.

Error.jpg

As much as I check, I don't see the difference between the two issues without that field that work with the issue that doesn't work.

Can someone help me to tell me that I have a bad definition or what may be happening so that the validation with the “tarea” (task) issue does not work for me?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2022

Hello @Eduardo García Moreno

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand you are facing the following scenario:

1. You configured a validator requiring the field "Aceptado calidad" to be added with a valid value.
  2. You have three different issue types (Story, Bug, Task), however, you only added the field "Aceptado calidad" to the Story issue type screens.
  3. For the Story issue type, the validator works as expected.
  4. For the Bug issue type, the validator is not applied so you don't need to add any value to the field.
  5. For the Task issue type, the validator applied, requiring you to set a value to the field even if it is not added to your screens.

If that's the scenario you are facing, please allow me to bring some concepts so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

When you set a required field validator to a workflow, the validator is applied to ALL issue types using that specific workflow, no matter if you added the required field to the issue type screens or not.

That being said, the behavior you are facing for the Task issue type is expected if it is using the same workflow. For the Bug issue type, the validator is probably not being applied because of two possible reasons:

1. This issue type is using a different workflow in your project as designed by default for Jira software projects - You can confirm this by going to your project > Project settings > Workflows:
    Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 3.32.55 PM.png
  2. The required field context is not being applied to the Bug issue type. You can check this by:
    1. Navigate to your custom field page (Cog icon/settings > issues > Custom fields)
    2. Find the custom field and click on ... > Contexts and default value:
      Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 3.58.05 PM.png
    3. Check if the context is applicable to the bug issue type

If you don't want the Task issue type to also be applied with the validator, you can click to add a new workflow under Project settings > Workflows, selecting the Task issue type. Optionally, you can create a copy of the same workflow you have (Under settings > issues > Workflows) and remove the validator.

Let us know if this information helps or if you need further instructions to add a new workflow.

Eduardo García Moreno September 9, 2022

Hello Petter.

I have seen what the problem is.

I use the “tarea” issue for 2 types of projects with two different workflows. In the other project, on which the validator that I have commented on does not apply, the field “Aceptado calidad” is used in the “tarea” issue. Therefore, in the default Configuration Scheme definition for “Aceptado calidad” the “tarea” issue is included in the context applicable to the schema. And the default value is empty (it can only have an empty value or “SI”).

Therefore, in the case that I have commented on, although for the “tarea” issue I do not have the “Aceptado calidad” field defined on the screen, it does have the default value “empty”. In this way, when applying the validator, since the field has no value, it does not allow the transition.

However, for the “error” issue, as the “Aceptado calidad field is included in the context applicable to the schema, the validator works correctly and allows the transition to be made.

Thank you very much

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events