Exposing only one project to a guest user

Peter Thorpe February 9, 2021

Hi all, this has been covered as a question but I haven't seen an answer that addresses it directly.

I have one guest user and I only want them to see one project and not the other.

I've edited the "Browse Project" options in the project I want to hide and remove ALL of the grants. I log in as my guest and... I still see the project I want to hide. I can't browse the project so I know it's doing something, it's just not doing what I want it to do. 

What particular permission(s) must I disable to make it hide the project from the list that the guest sees? It's not "Browse Project".

Many thanks,

Peter

1 answer

1 vote
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2021

Hello,

Under browse project permission, you can see that there are some Users / Groups / Project Roles that are added to this permission. Your user should NOT BE in the groups or roles that are under this permission. For example if you have "jira-users" group, that user should not be in that group. Or if you have a project role called "developers", your user should not be in any of the groups under that project role (You can find this under "people" under the project settings.). If "Application access (Any logged in user)" is written under browse project permission, you need to remove that, too.

Similarly your guest user should BE under the browse project permission of the project you want them to see.

Regards,

Elifcan

Hi Elifcan, and thanks for the response.

As I mentioned, I have removed ALL grants from the Browse Project permission.

This is not about groups or roles. It seems the Browse Project permission alone does not control visibililty of the project in the list. I am trying to find out which ones.

Peter

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2021

Hi

Actually it is the only permission you need to configure. If the user does not have browse project permission, and if they are not site admins, they will not see the project on the project list. Can you add some screenshots so that I can understand your need better?

Elifcan 

Hi Elifcan,

I can't share the screenshot because of sensitive information, but please take my word for it, I've experimented over several iterations. I've removed all grants from the browse project permission and my test user persona still sees the project in the list.

But these other Project permissions :

- Manage sprints

-View development tools

- View Read-only Workflow

It seems that if the user has one of these granted, they see the project in the list. It seems to me to be a bug. You can test it yourself, but I have found a workaround by disabling access to all project permissions for the group I want to restrict so I'm going to leave this for now. I'm just saying that the behaviour that everyone tells me should happen, does not and it's pretty clear.

Peter

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2021

Hi

If that's the case, then yes, it should be a bug and I suggest you open a ticket about it. Because it should not be like that. 

Anyways, glad you found a workaround. 

Regards, 

Elifcan 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders