Export of issues from a project in .csv as a solution for a backup of a single project

Magdalena Zhisheva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2021

Hi all, 

I have couple of questions, so I will number them :) 

1. We are currently making a research on how we can have a backup per project (for example, we had some cases when issues have been deleted from a project and a restore is needed, general WF changes and etc.)

We have the full backup, but it will restore the whole instance, not only a single project.

Does anybody know any workaround for this?

2. Is there any way to export issues in .CSV using Auto Rule?

We were thinking that if we can export the issues from each project, then we can use them as backup - import the issues if needed. Is it possible somehow or are you aware for some request in the Atlassian database, where we can vote for such option. I tried to find such but without success. 

Thank you all in advance!

Let me know if something is unclear. 

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

There is currently no option for backing up all data in only one project for later restoration.

I agree with @Aron Gombas _Midori_ that CSV is a fragile method for backups. For instance, with CSV export you don't get the history for the issue, so restoring from a CSV export would not include that information. CSV exports also only export issue data. The export will not contain any data for the project configuration, like workflow, screen, field, and permissions schemes.

If you are concerned about issue being deleted, and that is your primary reason for trying to backup a project, then remove the option to delete issues for all users except Jira Admins. Instead, perhaps provide a new status in the Done Status Category for "Removed/Deleted". Let users use that as a way to annotate issues that should be disregarded. You could potentially task your Jira Admins with reviewing reports of such issues and deciding if they should be permanently deleted.

If you are concerned about changes to project configuration, you might want to look at Configuration Management tools for Jira in the Atlassian Marketplace.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=configuration%20manager

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

I think the "export to CSV, then re-import from CSV later" is a rather fragile process and you will lose details even if you succeed with it.

The question is why would you backup that project? If you would rather delete it, but still keeping the option of restoring, then it's a better idea to archive it. Or if "restore" is not a hard requirement, you just want to keep the information, you could eventually export the issues to PDF or to Excel.

Suggest an answer