Export emails of user field from JQL

JG Meillaud _ May 31, 2022

Hello,

I'd like to get a list of the emails of all the users in a field from a JQL query.

So far, when running my query and then exporting to CSV or Excel I only get the names or IDs.

I need this so I can quickly send an email to these people.

Anyone knows how I could do this?

Thanks,
JG

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2022

Hi @JG Meillaud _ 

What problem are you trying to solve?  Knowing that may help the community to offer suggestions.  Until we know that...

What you ask cannot be done directly from JQL.  Instead you could:

• Create and save your JQL as a filter, and ask the users to subscribe to the filter
  • If the users are associated to fields in issues, you could write an Automation for Jira rule which could access the email addresses to mail them
  • If you are a site admin, gather the email addresses from user management of Jira Cloud

Kind regards,
Bill

JG Meillaud _ May 31, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy,

The problem I trying to solve is to send an email to 50+ recipients that I can identify in Jira fields without typing all their email addresses! (or copy/pasting all emails 1 by 1).

The reason is that I want to personnaly ask people to do something in an email, so this has to be an email from me to them.

I wanted to stay out of Automation for this one but that might be the only way. But I feel I cannot get the emails through an export because of some sort of data protection, which makes me doubt I'll be able to get the email addresses out to a comment with automation but who knows?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2022

If those email addresses (or Jira Users) are in the issue field, an automation rule could parse them to send to all.  One thing to watch for is any SLA limits on the number of emails sent/time unit for automation rules (if you are on a free license account).

I expect it would also be possible to add 50+ mentions in a comment in a rule, as you note, although I have never tried to mention more than a couple of people at once.

Suggest an answer