Exclude re-ranked issues from JQL

Bond October 9, 2019

Hello,

As the Product Owner, I want to do reviews with my Development Team Lead two times a week, so I can monitor and control the status and action.

I have created the following query:

project = LUNA AND updated >= -5d ORDER BY updated DESC

It works perfect showing me issues which were updated last 5 days, so we focus and discuss updates on those.

The issue is it also showed RE-RANKED issues, i.e. those which didn't change status, didn't get comments updates etc. - but simply were re-ordered in the backlog.

How can I exclude those re-ranked issues from my query please?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2019

Hey Bond - I think the reordering of the issue is technically an update to the issue, therefore it will be included in your query. The trick is to somehow differentiate between the issues that were simply re-ranked with no other updates and the rest. 

If you it is just commented stuff that separates it, then maybe something like:

project = LUNA AND commentedOn >= -5d

Bond October 17, 2019

Hello John, thank you for your answer very much. CommentedOn is interesting, I didn't know it exists before! Is there similar thing for status chnage (e.g. from Open to Selected for DEV etc.)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2019

Hi Bond - Yes, there is!

project = LUNA and status changed from "Open" to "Selected for DEV" after startOfDay(-5)

Like Bond likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2019

@Bond - Did this work for you? 

Bond October 21, 2019

Fantastic! I did never thought yet I can do such a things with JQL: "status", "changed", "after", "startOfDay" - it did already triggered a lot of interesting use in my head!

And yes, it works - thank you a lot!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

Great! Glad it worked.  :-)

Nathan Funk August 6, 2020

Just because this wasn't mentioned here, this apparently only works if you have the Scriptrunner plugin installed.

Great to know this is possible with this plugin though fellow Mr Funk!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2020

WOW! Another Funk brother - love to see that!!

0 votes
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Hello @Bond,

From a little research it seems to be impossible to exclude ranking from the updated field. It also seems like the ranking-field is unavailable in a JQL query since it will be reweighted automatically in Jira as the number of issues grow/decrease. 

My though is, can this be solved with a workflow status? For instance a workflow status might be Open and includes the backlog. When a sprint is active (given that you use Scrum) you transition the issues to a ToDo or similair that indicates that the developers can start working on it. With the above workflow, you can then exclude the Open status from the query, hence elimiting all the issues that were updated in the backlog. A query could be like:

project = LUNA AND updated >= -5d AND status != Open ORDER BY updated DESC

The limitation to this solution is that it will not show work done in the backlog.

Thoughts on the solution?

Hope it helps!

Bond October 17, 2019

Hello Gustav, I was thinking to exclude tasks in the status Open/Backlog.

Regarding to your comment that it will not show work done in the backlog - could you please clarify what do you mean?

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2019

With above JQL i proposed, it filters all tasks that has been updated the last 5 days and that is NOT in the Open status. Since the backlog typically will be the starting point of the workflow (with status Open or alike) and is where the ranking happens, if you exclude the Open status as in the JQL the tasks updated by reranking wont show. 

TLDR: If the ranking only happens in the backlog , exclude the status issues have while being in the backlog. 

Makes sense? 

Suggest an answer