Exclude current user when assigning ticket

steliosavramidis September 12, 2022

Hello

I am trying to create an automation to automatically assign tickets to a techreviewer when the ticket is transitioned in the "review" state. 

I have a list of the people who are reviewers however naturally I would like the person who already had the ticket to be excluded. How do I do that? 

So, what I want is the following: If Dev A, B, C are reviewers and Dev A was the one who had the ticket, assign the ticket to either A or B

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

Hi @steliosavramidis 

You might try a rule like below. I have not actually done that before, but you can try it. It would use a project role instead of a field. So the Devs would have to be in the Reviewers project role (or whatever you want to call the role in the project). 

Screenshot.png

steliosavramidis September 13, 2022

Thanks for the answer! Can you please explain what does the

Assignee = CurrentUser() restriction does, and what does the new role do? 

To make it clear: people who review and people who submit things to review are not different groups but the same. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

I am assuming that the Dev who completed the ticket is the current assignee. So when it moves to Review, it will be assigned someone in the group, but not the current Dev because he/she is the assignee. 

steliosavramidis September 20, 2022

Hi again, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work :(. Still behaves the same. Do you have anything in mind as to why it wouldn't work? 

It seems in fact that CurrentUser is the current user using Jira at that time, so when it's me it will exclude me (where i have nothing to do with the rule)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

Correct - that's what the currentUser functionality is. 

steliosavramidis November 11, 2022

Okay so I found the answer by implementing a while loop. I trigger the rule when a ticket moves to code review.  I assign the ticket to someone and at the end of the rule I check if that someone is the same person who had the ticket. If yes, I re-transition the ticket to "to code review" again and it acts as a while loop :) .

Like Mark B Wager likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events