Exception occurred: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException

Nhat Phan September 11, 2020

Hi Support team,

I am trying to input Jira description using Vietnamese language("Tại 262 Trần Hưng Đạo") and got exception as below:

Exception occurred: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while updating: [GenericEntity:Issue][description,Tại 262 Trần Hưng Đạo][id,10371][updated,2020-09-11 13:40:18.132] (SQL Exception while executing the following:UPDATE jiraissue SET DESCRIPTION=?, UPDATED=? WHERE ID=? (Incorrect string value: '\xE1\xBA\xA1i 2...' for column 'DESCRIPTION' at row 1))

I am using

Jira: Atlassian Jira Project Management Software (v8.5.7#805007-sha1:ee371e2)

Database version:

5.7.31-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

MySQL Connector Java mysql-connector-java-5.1.36

Regards,

NhatJira exception.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2020

Hello @Nhat Phan

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Could you please provide us with the version of your MySQL database and the version of your Jira Server Application?

The error returned describes that at least one of the characters in your description field can not be added in your database. The root cause of this error is usually a bug in Jira application, where old versions of Jira (before 8.0) can not handle 4-byte characters:

Add support for 4-byte characters in MySQL connection 

Can you confirm that you are using a new version of Jira (After 8.0) and a supported version of MySQL (5.7 or 8.0)?

If you are not, please update your Jira and MySQL to a supported version and check if it works for you. Additionally, ensure you have followed all the steps to properly configure your MySQL database with Jira as explained in the documentation below, adding the character set as utf8mb4 and utf8mb4_bin collation:

Connecting Jira applications to MySQL 5.7 

Connecting Jira applications to MySQL 8.0 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Nhat Phan September 17, 2020

I am using

Jira: Atlassian Jira Project Management Software (v8.5.7#805007)

Database version:

5.7.31-0ubuntu0.16.04.1

Like FOS likes this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2020

Hello @Nhat Phan

Can you please confirm you have configured the character set as utf8mb4 and utf8mb4_bin collation as mentioned in the documentation provided?

Also, have you followed all the steps of the documentation to properly configure your database in Jira?

As mentioned before, the error returned means that the characters in the description field can not be added to the database, however, the collation "utf8mb4" supports Vietnamese characters. Can you doublecheck that you've followed the instructions provided in the documentation?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events