Exception: Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token )

Evert Trollip January 15, 2018

Every time I open Jira, I get the following error: "An error occurred

Please try refreshing the page, or contact your administrator / Atlassian Support if the problem continues." 

Details

Here is the stack trace: 

Stack trace

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2018

Hi there,

I just found another user that had this same error in Jira Software, and he realized it was due to a browser extension, such as Grammarly.

Can you confirm you have this problem on all browsers and with all add-ons disabled, and in Incognito Mode?

Regards,

Shannon

Evert Trollip January 16, 2018

Hi Shannon, 

Thank you for your response. It seems to be as a result of my browser extensions, and I actually also have Grammarly installed as an extension. 

Opening in incognito mode with all add-ons disabled gets rid of the issue. After disabling Grammarly, the problem disappears in normal browser. 

Thanks!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2018

Evert,

Thank you for confirming that. I'm happy I was able to assist you.

Take care,

Shannon

Raghavendra Amara February 7, 2018

We have the same issue on our Chrome browser and we don't have "Grammarly" installed as extension. Can you please tell us what else could be the issue ? 

We observed different error messages while opening the same link in different browsers except in IE.

Thanks

Raghava

Like Abinash Satapathy likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2018

Raghava,

It may be a different issue in that case. Any extensions might cause the issue. Do you have the same issue with all extensions disabled and in Incognito Mode?

Could you show me your whole stack trace and confirm your browser version numbers that have the issue?

Regards,

Shannon

Raghavendra Amara February 7, 2018

Shannon, 

We have only two extensions in Chrome, one is "Cisco Webex" and the other one is "Symantec Extension". Both these are not enabled for incognito. But still I get the same error when opened in incognito mode.

I am attaching the error screens from both Chrome and Firefox. Hope this helps.

JIRA Error in Chrome.PNGJIRA Error in Mozilla.PNG

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2018

Thank you for confirming.

I know sometimes in Incognito mode some add-ons remain enabled even though it looks like they're disabled, so you may want to double-check that.

Failing that, I would recommend trying Safe Mode in Jira and see if an add-on isn't causing that. 

If none of this works, then we will need to raise a support ticket for you so we can look at your log files.

Regards,

Shannon

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2018

I can confirm I get this exact error all the time. I too use Grammarly. Has a support ticket been opened due to this issue & Grammarly?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 20, 2018

Hi Tom,

I am unaware if the issue itself has been reported to Grammarly, but we have a feature request here for official support with Grammarly:

The error in particular is mentioned on this knowledge base article. I neglected to post this earlier:

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2018

Thanks for letting me know. I'm not holding my breath considering Atlassian has open tickets 13 years old with thousands of votes:

Query: jira votes.png

I emailed Grammarly to let them know earlier.

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 27, 2021

I am having the same issue while trying to upload a jar file from Manage Apps page on Jira DC.

Using Chrome. I have Grammarly installed but turns out the problem was related to Dark Reader app. Didn't have to disable it. Turning it off for the site solved the issue.

0 votes
Azfar Masut
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2020

for us, its caused by the announcer for JIRA plugin, try disabling them

0 votes
Rajesh Ramankutty July 11, 2019

@Shannon S am also facing the same issue while creating the issue in jira soft can you assist me for this?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2019

Rajesh,

The cause of this was an add-on installed in the browser. You can disable all add-ons in your browser, try Incognito Mode, and finally try clearing your cache and see if the issue persists.

If you still have issues, please feel free to Contact Support, or you can raise a new question here. This question here is about a year old so by creating a new ticket you'll ensure that we'll be able to see it to help you out.

Regards,

Shannon

Thank you mam.

@Shannon S  Am having another one dout 

Jira Server - Template injection in various resources - CVE-2019-11581 is we truly wants to upgrade our jira instance or any other way.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2019

Hi Rajesh,

You're welcome!

From your 2nd reply, it seems that you might have a question about the Jira Security Advisory.

I would recommend reviewing my colleague Andrew's post below, and then raise a new question from the link he provided there if you have any questions.

If you have a question about it, click this link to ask a question:

Thank you!

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
martinpk May 4, 2018

I have the same conflict between JIRA and the Evernote Clipper 7.1.0 extension for Chrome on macOS. Running JIRA v7.1.9 and JIRA Agile v7.1.23-DAILY20160627065553.

Michael Hughes May 18, 2018

I can report this as well. 

Disabling the Evernote Clipper (7.2.1) resolves the issue.

Rohit Sharma August 1, 2018

+1

Like Michael Hughes likes this
0 votes
Salman Muhammad March 22, 2018

Add the "Honey" extension to the list as well.

0 votes
Raghavendra Amara February 9, 2018

Hi Shannon,

This is happening since we changed the Base URL in JIRA. We used to have Server name in the base URL and we changed that to domain name. Users started getting this issue when they open any agile dashboard. So, once we reverted the changes to make the base URL back to server name, we are not seeing this issue. Is this something you heard of before ? 

Thanks

Raghava

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2018

Hi Raghava,

Can you check something for me while your base URL is set to the domain?

• Have a look at this article: How to fix gadget titles showing as __MSG_gadget
  • If your gadgets also show the same (which are a symptom of Jira not being able to communicate with its domain name) then you can run through the troubleshooting steps there to fix it.
  • If your gadgets do not show the same, could you disable all of your add-ons and let me know if the problem resolves itself? We want to rule out that any add-ons are causing it.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer