Excel CSV export over 1000 lines

Ron O February 22, 2018

I have been trying to export a report from Jira that is 4500 lines and exporting thru csv will only give me 1000 lines.  Is there an easy workaround?  I have tried going page by page and when I get to item 1001 the screen freezes on me.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2018

Correct. This is done to prevent a denial of service attack vector. 

Pulling 1000 or more issues out of Jira is expensive and likely places unnecessary load on your system. Doing this regularly will be something your human users will feel and cause them to complain about performance. You're better off using more targeted JQL to pull the issues out that you care about, since I would imagine there is a lot of cruft in the list of 4500 issues.

If you must raise the amount, you can make the following change and restart Jira. Just recognize that making this change will open you up to greater chance of denial of service when other people start pulling more large sets of issues out of Jira, use the REST API to do so, etc.

1 vote
Bruce Saunders March 10, 2018

Another option that works for me is to append    &pager/start=1000   to the URL from the filter.   That gets me the next 1000 lines in a file, and then do another &pager/start=2000, etc.  for the next 1000 lines.   Extract the separate files, then append them into on xlsx or csv.  Painful, but it does come in handy.

Nancy Bonanno December 5, 2018

I can't figure out how to get a URL to append to.  I have a filter which shows over 3000 records.  I tried added &pager/start=1000 to that URL of the filter, but when I press ENTER it just cuts that "&pager" bit off.  I read that I should right-click on the Export->CSV(certain fields) and select "open in new tab" ...and THAT should give me the right URL to append that "&pager" phrase to.  But when I right-click on Export->CSV(certain fields), it just RUNS it and downloads a file for me to save.  What am I doing wrong?  (Thanks.)

Prakash Bhandari December 10, 2018

Nancy, were you able to resolve this?  The page redirects me to the original result set that i already got. Looks like this is not allowed anymore, even if they did allow it before. 

Thanks.

Nancy Bonanno December 11, 2018

I was not able to resolve it.  Yeah, it looks like they changed how the URL is presented.  I finally just figured out a way to filter my results in groups of less than 1000 and downloaded each group.  Tedious, but it worked.

Suggest an answer