Estimates not rolling up to parent

R Lockhart March 1, 2013

So, I've got Original Estimate filled out in my subtasks, but they're not rolling up to the story. I've missed something along the way. Any help? Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2013

Just in case you need to roll up original estimates anyway (or time spent), you can use Structure plugin for that. It can also combine multiple backlogs, or group stories under epics, and roll the estimates up into the epics or higher-level issues. In the near future it is going to be able to roll up any numeric field.

Cheers,
Igor

Disclosure: I work for the company behind Structure.

2 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2013

See Shaun's discussion I linked to in your other question. If you want estimates to roll-up from sub-tasks, I believe only "remaining time" will be rolled up. It is a larger discussion we should not repeat here, but sprint planning and estimating should be done at the story level, not rolled up from sub-tasks.

But if you want remaining time to roll up, first select that in the board's configuration for time tracking

And then the story and sprint estimator will show you those rolled-up values

R Lockhart March 3, 2013

Thanks Eddie. I did some further review of this and agree with the guidance that estimates should be given on stories. Will suggest that to our team. Thanks again for your time.

1 vote
Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2014

Working with support from Arsenale Dataplane, we are now able to view a report that includes epics, the stories in those epics, and the subtasks for those stories. Though we are using Dataplane (a paid addon), the scheme for setting up a scripted field that can be used to "segment by" epics is still useful without it.

How Dataplane solved the problem for me:

1. Install Scriptrunner addon (free).
  2. Create a new Script Runner custom field ("Scripted Field") in JIRA, called "Master Epic" (or something similar). Here's Arsenale’s own Dataplane primer on how to set up and use Scripted Fields. Here's a more general Script Runner primer on how to use a Scripted Fields. You are going to use this field to report on the Epic that the issue is a part of, regardless of whether the issue is a parent or a sub-task issue. Scripted Fields use programming script written in a language called Groovy. It's virtually identical to Java.
  3. After creating the field, go to the Admin>Addons tab.
  4. Click on “Script Fields” under the Script Runner section on the left.
  5. Click Edit.
  6. Enter the following script:
  7. Reindex JIRA.
  8. If you are using Dataplane, reindex it also.
  9. In Dataplane you can create a report that uses this scripted field to “segment by”.
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue;

CustomFieldManager fieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();
CustomField epicLinkField = fieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Epic Link");
CustomField epicNameField = fieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Epic Name");

if (issue.isSubTask())
{
    issue = issue.getParentObject();
}

Issue epicIssue = (issue.getIssueTypeObject().getName().equals("Epic")) ? issue : issue.getCustomFieldValue(epicLinkField);

return (epicIssue != null ? epicIssue.getCustomFieldValue(epicNameField) : null);
David Goldstein
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2014

Using Moriah's instructions with the Arsenale Dataplane add-on, here are some nice charts of estimated time per Epic, further segmented by Issue Type. Time Estimates for all standard issues, sub-tasks and the Epics themselves are included.

1. What is the Time Estimate for each Epic?

2. What percent of the Time Estimate for each Epic will address Bugs, Feature Requests, Stories, etc?

Suggest an answer