Error migrating the JIRA server to the cloud

Ronald Diquélou April 3, 2018

Hello

I want to migrate my JIRA Software server to JIRA cloud.
But you can not import my data.

I have an error message stating to update JIRA Help Desk 3.0.
I did not use JIRA Help Desk. To test, I activated the demo of JIRA Help Desk 3.0.
So I have the latest version on JIRA Software, JIRA Help Desk (in trial).

How to migrate my JIRA server to the cloud?

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hi there,

It sounds like you're running into a bug which we currently have tracked below:

There is a new workaround for this issue which just requires you to edit the entities.xml file contained within your backup. You can run the following command in a command line terminal;

sed -i '' '/<OSPropertyEntry.*com.atlassian.servicedesk.*type="6"/d' entities.xml

Once you make the change you can recreate the backup with the updated entities.xml file and try another import. 

For more information, including suggested workarounds, view the ticket

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2018

Hi Ronald,

What version is your Jira Server right now?  

If you are running Jira version before 7.0.0, then you will need to upgrade both Jira and Jira Service Desk to these versions (7.0.x for Jira and 3.0.x for Service Desk) before you can go any further.  With migrations from Jira Server to Jira Cloud, there is an expectation that your Jira Server version will have to be on the latest version before you can migrate.   I believe the current version of server today is 7.8.2.

There is a scenario where if you ever trialed, or previously used Jira Service Desk (in any version before 3.0), where you would have to upgrade that data in your database first before you could then migrate that to Cloud.

The problem can be many times that if you do not use Service Desk now, you could possibly have to revert to a previous version of Jira to be able to install a compatible plugin version of Jira Service Desk 3.0.0 -> 3.1.x first (which would be Jira Server 7.0.0 -> 7.1.10).   This is a feasible solution, but only if your version of Jira Server is before 7.2.0. 

Otherwise, if you are already on a newer version of Jira, and you do not want to maintain any older legacy Service Desk information that might still exist in your database, then I would recommend taking a look at this ticket https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4732

It's a request to add a method to remove old legacy data from Service Desk.   While there is not an official way to do this, there are comments in that thread that explain which AO tables in the Jira database are responsible for that JSD data.  You could try to delete those specific tables to try to get around this, but I would strongly recommend you create a backup before you attempt something like this and only if you are sure you don't want any of the existing Service Desk data that might still reside in your Jira Server instance.

Ronald Diquélou April 4, 2018

Thank you for your reply.

During my migration tests, I was up to date.
Here are the versions:
JIRA Software 7.8.1
JIRA Service Desk 3.11.1 (Trial)

At the exit of JIRA Service Desk, I tested it but without using it.
I delivered the test version of JSD to test the migration but I still have the same problem.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2018

Hi @Ronald Diquélou

Is the Jira Service Desk data important here?  I ask because if you only ever trialed Jira Service Desk, but never really used it, then it might be easier to drop that data than it would be to try to upgrade it now.

If YES, please let me know, I think the best course of action in that case will be create a support ticket which I can do on your behalf.  I'm sure we will want to gather logs and possible an XML backup of your Jira data to further investigate.

If NO, then I think it would be best to first take a backup of your Jira data, and then try to follow the customer comments on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4732 that indicate steps you can follow to drop certain tables from the SQL database that Jira is using.   If successful, you could then generate a new XML backup from Jira that should then be able to import into Jira Cloud without this error.

Please let me know.

Andy

Suggest an answer