Error in atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log

DeepakBhatia February 7, 2013

Hi,

We are getting sometimes error in the above log file and the mail goes to the error queue.

Regards

Deepak Bhatia

==========================================================================

2013-02-08 09:40:13,709 ERROR [jiraissue@nechclst.in] Sending mailitem To='Amit.Chaudhary@aricent.com' Subject='(GEPONVM-196) Bug#1171: Both cards get rebooted when re-fo is carried out' From='gepon@nechclst.in' FromName='Abhinav (JIRA)' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='null' InReplyTo='null' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='null' MessageId='null' ServiceRunner    Mail Queue Service Error occurred in sending e-mail: To='Amit.Chaudhary@aricent.com' Subject='(GEPONVM-196) Bug#1171: Both cards get rebooted when re-fo is carried out' From='gepon@nechclst.in' FromName='Abhinav (JIRA)' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='null' InReplyTo='<4224146.12345.1357796266649.JavaMail.root@localhost.localdomain>' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='null' MessageId='null'
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
  nested exception is:
        java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:193)
        at com.atlassian.mail.queue.SingleMailQueueItem.send(SingleMailQueueItem.java:38)
        at com.atlassian.mail.queue.MailQueueImpl.sendBuffer(MailQueueImpl.java:66)
        at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailQueueService.run(MailQueueService.java:28)
        at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:61)
        at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:47)
        at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)
        at com.atlassian.multitenant.quartz.MultiTenantThreadPool$MultiTenantRunnable.run(MultiTenantThreadPool.java:72)
        at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)
Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;
  nested exception is:
        java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.readServerResponse(SMTPTransport.java:2210)
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueSendCommand(SMTPTransport.java:2093)
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.finishData(SMTPTransport.java:1900)
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:1122)
        at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:166)
        ... 8 more
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
        at com.sun.mail.util.TraceInputStream.read(TraceInputStream.java:110)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:237)
        at com.sun.mail.util.LineInputStream.readLine(LineInputStream.java:89)
        at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.readServerResponse(SMTPTransport.java:2188)

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Kerem Caglar [Solveka]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2013

We had a similar problem some time ago. Due to this problem some people did not receive notifications. I increased the SMTP timeout on Outgoing Mail configuration page.

DeepakBhatia February 7, 2013

Thanks Kerem, The problem we are facing is that same mail is recieved multiple times by the user. I can see that mail goes to the error queue which is giving problem. Thanks Deepak

Kerem Caglar [Solveka]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2013

It seems my previous sentence written in a hurry and I wrote what I did not mean :-) What I meant, because of the timeout problem, mails dropped into error queue that's why recipients received multiple mails. I hope increasing the timeout helped..

Like Vladimir Apanyuk likes this

Suggest an answer