Error in Automation when setting conditions to assigning labels to old issues

Pawel Halas December 12, 2022

Hi everyone! 

I want to automate assigning labels to old issues in my backlog so that I can then filter them out easily and keep the backlog fairly clean. I'd like all issues older than 180 days from the date of the scheduled rule execution to have the defined label added.

I'm using Jira Automation and using scheduling as a trigger seems the best possible scenario.

I provide the following components( see attached screenshot):

• `status=one of blocked, open`
  • `created is before 180 days from now` Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 14.57.50.png

However, when I try to launch the automation,  the following error occurs:

> The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger. You need to use the option to run JQL to provide issues. The following components require issues: Issue condition, Edit issue

Do you have any idea how the JQL search should be launched and what are the required issues mentioned in the error description --> `Issue condition`, `Edit issue`? 

Thank you!

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2022

Hi @Pawel Halas , try replacing your two conditions with the branch as shown below...

B7382BE1-B66C-417B-B4E7-D4E1C9D66B45.jpeg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2022

Obviously, you need to change your status is there. As well I would add a check to that JQL to see if the label already exists in that way you're not adding the label again. So yours should look something like this....

Status in (Blocked, Open) and created <= startofday(-180) and labels != xxxx

0 votes
Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2022

Hi @Pawel Halas,

some explanation first:

• you are using scheduled trigger, which by itself doesn't return any issues (while other triggers usually have some issues)
  • however, you also use branches and action, which needs some issues to operate on
  • as a result of that you get an error telling you your trigger must return some issues for your branches and action to work

in your screenshot there is a check box at the bottom saying "Run a JQL search and execute..."

If you check it, you will be provided with a JQL input to filter your issues. As suggested in the comments above it is a good idea to merge both your branches into this JQL.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Maksim

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2022

Hi @Pawel Halas 

Jack's will definitely help you add the label...and...

Have you considered instead just adding a quick filter to hide older issues? 

Or, if you consider these issues as perhaps too-old-to-work-on, use a filter to identify them and then abandon them by adding comment and moving to "done" or some other completed status to indicate abandonment.  I would advise against deleting them.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events