Error creating a User via E-Mail

D Mat February 3, 2021

Hello there,

I wanted to test the feature where a task is created via an incoming email.

I have set everything accordingly:

• Mail server
  • Mailhandler-Type
  • etc.

The thing is that when I use my Jira user as the default reporter, everything works.

If I set a mail handler to create a new user, it doesn't work.

The error email I get says the following:
"Sender is anonymous, no default reporter specified and creating users is set to false (or external user management is enabled). Message rejected."

But I did set "creating users" true. And I haven't set any external user management.

Any Ideas how to fix this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2021

Hi @D Mat 

Sorry to hear about this problem.  However I think you have stumbled upon a bug in regards to this functionality in Jira Cloud.  We are tracking this problem over in JRACLOUD-66694 : Incoming email handlers in JIRA can't create new users from the create user function.

Unfortunately, there is not a simple workaround here.  For the time being it appears that these users will need to be added manually or invited to this Jira site before they can use that mail handler to process their messages.  Alternatively, a Jira Service Management mail handler could potentially add new users to the site instead.  Granted this would have to be inside a JSM type project, and by default those users would just be added to the customer role (making them unlicensed users that only have access to the customer portal).  But it might be a better alternative to adding these users manually.  This could at least add that user to your site, and from there you could choose to add them as a licensed user of Jira Core or Jira Software in order to then let them send to that other mail handler.

Again, sorry about this bug.  I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Andy

D Mat February 4, 2021

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Marijana Nikolic May 18, 2021

Hello @Andy Heinzer 

I have the same problem, but I can't add users manually because I don't know in advance who will write us.

I want the ticket to open automatically and the user to get an email from us ,,we work on it``. Is this possible? Maybe I didn't understand well ☹

Best,

Marijana

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events