Error connecting to MS SQL database during install

Doug Shy September 26, 2019

Installing Jira 8.3.3 on Windows Server 2016.  Database is MS SQL 2017 on a different server.  After filling out the details on the Database setup page,

jiradb.png

when clicking the "Test Connection" button I get the following error:

Error connecting to database

Login failed for user 'jiraadmin'. ClientConnectionId:4d9850de-3e03-4696-b08a-dce5775c8f7b

On the SQL server, the error is:

Login failed for user 'jiraadmin'. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Integrated authentication only. [CLIENT: 10.98.64.43]

This is false.  Here's a screenshot:

dberr.png

I CAN logon to the MS SQL Management Studio with that same username and password.  I CAN connect successfully from the Jira server using an ODBC connection with the same username and password.  This leads me to believe it is a Jira issue.

I tried initially making the jiraadmin user just a user with dbowner role and creating a new jira schema as suggested.  In the process of trying things  jiraadmin has been elevated up to the dbowner and the using the dbo schema, all with no change in results.

3 answers

0 votes
Alistair Stewart June 7, 2021

I'd like to know too, I'm getting the exact same problem.  SQL authentication works fine connecting as the user via ODBC, just not Jira.

0 votes
Thomas Theobald January 13, 2021

Did this problem ever get solved?

0 votes
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 26, 2019

Hello Doug Shy,

You will need to restart the SQL Service once you have changed your authentication mode. Could you tell us if this solve your problem?

Regards

I probably should have mentioned that I have restarted both servers several times, and that Confluence was just installed in the same server, using the same DB server, and works fine using a SQL account.

But I just restarted it again anyway, and no change.

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 26, 2019

Which jdbc driver version are you using? v6.2.1 or v7.2.1?

This can be found on /opt/atlassian/jira/lib (supposing you are using the default path on a linux server) and looking for a file calle mssql-jdbc-<VERSION>.jre8.jar

If you are using the v6.2.1 do you mind to backup this file, remove it and try to use the v7.2.1 instead?

Does this apply as I stated I am using Windows Server 2016 and not Linux?

In any case there is only the 7.2.1 in the lib folder.

Marketplace Partner
September 26, 2019

Yes, but probably you must search the file under a diferent location:

e.g: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\jira\lib or a similar path.

EDIT:
I miss your previos message.

Let's see if someone else have new ideas about what can be happening.
In the meanwhile, I suggest to directly open a support request to the Atlassian Team to discard that this behaviour is caused by a misconfiguration or malfunction.

Thomas Theobald June 8, 2021

I forgot that I'd left this question unanswered.  I already posted the answer thread in the community section, but here's my write-up on how I fixed it on my blog.

Wrestling With Jira

Alistair Stewart June 8, 2021

Fantastic write up there there, thank you. 

Now I move on to my next problem, installing a new Jira install using SQL integrated security, because you can't out of the box and credentials in conf files are bad mmkay.

Another you must be kidding Jira moment I will be having fun with!

Suggest an answer