Error 500 when converting subtask to issue

Szymon Sobczak January 22, 2020

Hi, I'm using Jira Software. Whenever I try converting subtask to an issue, I gen a non-descriptive "500 - internal server error".

I'm the project admin and I should have all the permissions. This happens across multiple different subtasks.

Can anyone suggest what should I check for?

3 answers

1 vote
Jake Tudor January 30, 2023

Looks like this is a permission issue. 
We got it to work after enabling this...

Schedule Issue (Ability to view or edit an issue's due date)

0 votes
Roger Hughes June 24, 2023

Jira Software Server - I'm also experiencing the skull and crossbones 500 error when doing: move and issue to a new project, cloning an issue, converting an issue to a sub-task, and converting a sub-task to an issue.

This is happening for all users, all project types, and the Schedule Issue permission is enabled for all users.   As an administrator it is also affecting me.

This only started one week ago, after we had updated the license on our server.

Roger Hughes October 4, 2023

My solution to this was to update SriptRunner software.  Once that was done, the issue was resolved.  Did it a few days later, but thought I'd add the comment to my comment here.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

Hello @Szymon Sobczak

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Per your description, I understand you are facing an error when you click in "Move" and try to convert your sub-tasks to issues. Is that correct?

Can you please confirm if the sub-tasks you are facing this problem are in a Next-gen project?

Investigating a little further, I found the following bug reported about your error, reproducible only in a Next-gen project:

Converting a Sub-task of a Next-gen project to issue results in error 500 

If you are using a Next-gen project, please check if the following workaround works for you:

1 - Navigate to your project > Project settings > Issue types > Enable the Story Issue type

2 - Navigate to your sub-task > Convert it to a Story issue type. You will face the same error, however, the sub-task will be properly converted

3 - Change the story to the issue type you want

In case you are not in a next-gen project, please provide us with a screenshot of how you are trying to convert your issues with the generic error you are receiving.

Szymon Sobczak March 13, 2020

Hi, it's been a while and I've stumbled upon this bug again.

Last time I just manually deleted all the subtasks and created new issues, but this messes up the reports.

I'm not using a next-gen project, this is in a classic one.

This is what I'm doing:

step1.png

Step 2:

(the same error happens for all issue types I can select)step2.png

And the error:step3.png

Like # people like this
Pedro HS Cunha May 18, 2021

Hi everyone,

May be an update on this one ?

We're getting the same error, It also happen trying to convert between Standard issue types.

Like Marcus Polonio likes this
Deleted user February 16, 2022

The same error was shown to me too

Dale Fernandes March 1, 2022

Hello, we've also discovered this bug. 

Im curious to know if anyone else sees the permission showing as granted via their permission checker? We do, but the group condition fails (the overall status for the permission is granted). 

Is it possible the group condition is causing a bug that interferes with this operation?

Alex Dixon May 20, 2022

I too am getting this bug. It's an old project and I'm not an admin on it, but admins seem to be able to do it for me (convert to an issue)!

Malcolm Jones June 2, 2022

I am also experiencing this bug. 

Fredrik Juréen November 9, 2022

I'm also getting this. I'm not admin, maybe that's why, but the error message is not very intuitive in that case.

Colin Wright January 30, 2023

A user must have the Schedule Issue permission in order to convert from a sub-task to another issue type and vise-versa.

Like Roger Hughes likes this
Roger Hughes June 24, 2023

Jira Software Server - I'm also experiencing the skull and crossbones 500 error when doing: move and issue to a new project, cloning an issue, converting an issue to a sub-task, and converting a sub-task to an issue.

This is happening for all users, all project types, and the Schedule Issue permission is enabled for all users.   As an administrator it is also affecting me.

This only started one week ago, after we had updated the license on our server.

Suggest an answer