Nele

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2018

@Nele Smeets, the epics as swimlanes should work. can you provide screen shot of your board filter as well as one for your board w/ Epics as swimlane enabled.

Nele Smeets February 20, 2018

@Jack Brickey

Here you go:

kanban epics.png

Like Iskandar Ameri likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2018

this is the way Epics as swimlanes will look...

kanban-epic.png

So make sure that epics are not excluded in your board filter somehow (Board Settings > General > Filter query). And make sure that the issues that are displaying are linked to an Epic.

@Jack Brickey

It started to dawn that when swimlanes = epics, I only saw stories that did not have epics, three stories.

So now, I added an epic for those three stories, and now... my kanbanboard is empty, no issue show. :s

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2018

so i'm guessing you set the epic link for IG-4, 24 and 27 to a specific epic. Can you show me:

• your board filter
  • an image of the epic itself (view screen)
Nele Smeets February 22, 2018

@Jack Brickey Correct!

Below screenshots of any possible board filter and the epic itself:

kanban epics.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2018

Nele, i believe the issue lies w/ your board filter. It appears you want to exclude all issuetypes except Stories for whatever reason. However, please include Epics. Try changing as follows:

project = IG and issuetype in (Epic, Story)...

Like Yanet Morales likes this
Nele Smeets February 23, 2018

@Jack Brickey yes,hat did the trick! Thank you so very much!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2018

@Nele Smeets, great. Can you pleas accept the answer? This helps keep our unanswered questions clean. 

0 votes
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2018

hi there,

you can add the epic issue type to the project and you'll be able to see them on your board but not like on a scrum board.

if you want epics and a backlog, you could start a scrum board with an eternal sprint or a monthly/yearly sprint.

Would that help?

Cheers,
Krisz

Thx for the quick reply! 

Yes, I wanted to see the epics as swimlanes :)

Using an eternal sprint will do the trick I guess. Ill give it a try.

Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2018

That could work, if you just add the issuetype to the project and all.

However I'm unsure about whether epics can be used easily as swimlanes because the epic-issue link is different than the issue-subtask link in Jira.

So you might need to set up custom swimlanes (based on JQL filters).

This is an interesting idea, let me know if you succeed. Thank you.

That didn't work, the eternal sprint showed up on other (scrum) boards as well.

Adding epics as swimlanes seems to be easy:

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 11.23.07.png

But the epic swimlanes simple do not show.

Like Alasdair Lomas likes this
Phil Vuollet December 11, 2019

" Epics with no issues on the board will not be shown." but why? I do want them to show. If I didn't, I could simply add to the board filter right?

Like # people like this
Brodie Andersen March 19, 2020

new to cloud, optimistic about the kanban feature.  forgive my ignorance- but this doesn't have scrum board parity in terms of seeing and managing epics in the backlog?  teams have to adjust issue workflows to allow this feature to work?  adding more statuses like more adding custom creates a lot of overhead, especially when part of the team uses scrum and lots do not, AND epics are a backbone for all

Like SimonH likes this
SimonH March 31, 2020

Yes Brodie - that's what I want too:  I just want to see Epics on the left of my Kanban Board just like I do on a Sprint Board, so that I can assign Epics by dragging by Stories onto the Epics, filter quickly by Epic, etc.  Is that possible on a Kanban board?

BEXJonathanD September 9, 2020

Me three.

Like Simon, I would like to have the power of EPICS within my Kanban Board. This means seeing the Epics available as a clickable item in the left toggle window (as is available within the Active Sprints pane on the Scrum boards).

How can we action this type of functionality?

Thanks so much!

Like # people like this
Lina van der Burgt April 14, 2021

If I understand Jonathan and Simon right, you want to display epics in a panel in the backlog, and not as cards on the board? Go to: board settings > Columns. Switch the button 'Epics panel'

Suggest an answer