Epics not linking to Stories and Tasks not linking to Stories in Advanced Roadmap

Ayo Ayoola April 13, 2021

We have set up Jira hierarchy to capture a theme in an Epic, and specific Projects/topics in a User Story which is then broken down to Specific Tasks and we use Sub tasks to capture the different phases/steps in a project.

Whenever I try to pull things into a plan in Advanced roadmap my User stories are not linked to the Epic and my tasks are not linked to the User Story. I have ensured that all the issue types pulled are linked (Parent-Child relationship) but all the Stories, Tasks and sub tasks are coming up as issues without parent. Can someone please help me.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2021

Hello @Ayo Ayoola 

Can you provide some screen images of an issue an Epic with a Story, and a Story with a Subtask?

To achieve the parent/child relationship the issues have to be "linked" in a specific way. For instance a story has a unique field for specifying its parent Epic - the relationship is not created with the generic issue linking functionality.

Ayo Ayoola April 14, 2021

Hi Trudy,

Here is a screen shot of User story Epic NET-1045 which is a Parent of User Story NET-1044 parent to Task NET-2341. ThanksStory.PNGroadmap.PNG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

In JIRA natively there are three basic levels of issues:

• Epics
  • Stories/Tasks/Bugs
  • Sub-tasks

JIRA recognizes parent/child relationships as follows: Epics can be parents to Stories/Tasks/Bugs, and Stories/Tasks/Bugs can be parents to Sub-tasks. Stories/Tasks/Bugs cannot be parents to each other. This is not done through the generic issue links, but rather through specific functionality. Stories/Tasks/Bugs have a field called Epic Link that identifies their parent Epic. That is what is missing here; your Story and Task issues do not have their Epic Link field set to net-1045. When the Epic Link field is set in the Story/Task/Bug, then when you are looking at the Epic details you will see a section labeled "Issues in this epic".

Like Ayo Ayoola likes this
Ayo Ayoola April 19, 2021

Thanks, this works I am now able to link Epic-->Tasks--> Subtasks. The only problem I have now is that I can't link Initiative to Epics. I will create a separate question for that as I can consider this done.

Suggest an answer