Epic names have changed after migrating from Team-managed to Company-managed project

Anastasia Gourina November 17, 2021

Hi All,

I have an interesting case and I would like to understand it better.

One of our project teams migrated their Jira project from Team-managed to Company-managed. After migration they noticed that all their Epic names have changed to one epic. So they have a total of 7 epics and now they all share the same name as one - all 7 are called the same. What I don't understand is why?

Is there a way for us to revert the epic names back to what they were before the migration?

Any advice would be great on this.

Thanks in advance!

A

3 answers

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2021

It should be noted that Epic Name is not actually a field that is used in Team Managed projects. That field is used only Epics in Company Managed projects, and is a Required field therein. In Team Managed projects, the Epics use only the Summary field.

If the Move Issue option is used to move them between projects, whether they are moved individually or through Bulk Change, you will be required to enter an Epic Name.

If you Move them via Bulk Change, you get to enter only one value for Epic Name, and it gets applied to all the Epics that are moved.

If you used the Move option on one Epic at a time, you would've been prompted to enter an Epic Name each time and the names could've been individualized

So, to make it "match" what you saw in the Team Managed project, you simply need to copy the Epic's Summary field to the Epic Name field.

Using the Move option would provide not method for otherwise automatically setting the Epic Name field (used only in the destination Company Managed project Epic issue type) to match the pre-existing Summary for each Epic.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2021

Thanks for clarifying the behavior, Trudy!

Greg September 20, 2022

Hey Trudy-

Thanks for shedding light on this.  A question to Jira, why isn't Epic Name a field that is used in Team Managed projects but is in Company Managed Projects?  Curious about the use case here.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

The architecture for Team Managed projects came long after the architecture for Company Managed projects, and the intent was to make a "simpler" project and also enable Project Administrators to have more control over customizations.

Atlassian is working to reduce these differences in Epics between these types of projects. See the following for reference:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Upcoming-changes-to-epic-fields-in-company-managed-projects/ba-p/1997562

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/upcoming-changes-epic-link-replaced-with-parent/

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Greg September 20, 2022

Interesting, thanks Trudy!

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2021

Hi @Anastasia Gourina 

Short answer: I do not believe there is a way to do this automatically, and perhaps there is manually.

Longer answer: 

Team-managed and company-managed projects link epics to the child issues differently, and I do not believe all of the information is converted/preserved.  That warning is noted on the documentation page for converting between project types...although it says nothing specifically about epics: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

You do not indicate how you migrated the issues (e.g. move, copy, re-import, etc.)  If you moved them, such as with bulk-edit, the epic's history should still contain the original names and so you could re-enter it manually.

Kind regards,
Bill

Anastasia Gourina November 17, 2021

Hi Bill,

I ended up doing a bulk move to migrate it. Are you saying if i did it edit issue the epics wouldnt have changed?

If i did the bulk edit there is no option to change where the issue type sits - change the project. Thats why I did a bulk move for this

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2021

@Anastasia Gourina 

Please see me response.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Yash R April 3, 2022

this is helpful, thanks @Trudy Claspill , @Bill Sheboy and @Anastasia Gourina 

Suggest an answer