Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Epic names have changed after migrating from Team-managed to Company-managed project

Hi All,

I have an interesting case and I would like to understand it better.

One of our project teams migrated their Jira project from Team-managed to Company-managed. After migration they noticed that all their Epic names have changed to one epic. So they have a total of 7 epics and now they all share the same name as one - all 7 are called the same. What I don't understand is why?

Is there a way for us to revert the epic names back to what they were before the migration?

Any advice would be great on this.

Thanks in advance!

A

3 answers

It should be noted that Epic Name is not actually a field that is used in Team Managed projects. That field is used only Epics in Company Managed projects, and is a Required field therein. In Team Managed projects, the Epics use only the Summary field.

If the Move Issue option is used to move them between projects, whether they are moved individually or through Bulk Change, you will be required to enter an Epic Name.

If you Move them via Bulk Change, you get to enter only one value for Epic Name, and it gets applied to all the Epics that are moved.

If you used the Move option on one Epic at a time, you would've been prompted to enter an Epic Name each time and the names could've been individualized

So, to make it "match" what you saw in the Team Managed project, you simply need to copy the Epic's Summary field to the Epic Name field.

Using the Move option would provide not method for otherwise automatically setting the Epic Name field (used only in the destination Company Managed project Epic issue type) to match the pre-existing Summary for each Epic.

Thanks for clarifying the behavior, Trudy!

Hi @Anastasia Gourina 

Short answer: I do not believe there is a way to do this automatically, and perhaps there is manually.

Longer answer: 

Team-managed and company-managed projects link epics to the child issues differently, and I do not believe all of the information is converted/preserved.  That warning is noted on the documentation page for converting between project types...although it says nothing specifically about epics: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

You do not indicate how you migrated the issues (e.g. move, copy, re-import, etc.)  If you moved them, such as with bulk-edit, the epic's history should still contain the original names and so you could re-enter it manually.

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi Bill,

I ended up doing a bulk move to migrate it. Are you saying if i did it edit issue the epics wouldnt have changed?

If i did the bulk edit there is no option to change where the issue type sits - change the project. Thats why I did a bulk move for this

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

this is helpful, thanks @Trudy Claspill , @Bill Sheboy and @Anastasia Gourina 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,698 views 37 47
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you