Epic>task>subtask nesting

Chris O_Dell December 16, 2021

Hey all, I've been trying to set up a Jira project for our marketing team and running into a lot of confusion re: which features / templates are available for which products.  

I initially set them up with Service Management, using the Project Management template, but ran into an issue to where tasks won't nest under linked Epics on the timeline view. 

So I spun up a Jira Software project, starting with the Kanban template, but while the Roadmap view properly nests tasks under Epics, we lost the Calendar view which is something we need.

I'm here looking for 1) confirmation that there's no way to get tasks to nest under Epics on the Timeline view in Service Management (which is our preferred outcome) and 2) any suggestions for getting a traditional Calendar view in Jira Software.

Screenshot from Service Management showing the problem - tasks linked to an epic do not nest under that epic, which quickly turns the Timeline view into a mess.

Screenshot 2021-12-16 102013.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

Hi Chris - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Unfortunately, Jira Work Management projects (Business type) is not currently providing functionality to next the issues on the Timeline. That will be coming at some point, but I don't know the timeframe.

And no, you can't get the Calendar function for Jira Software projects either. So you are kind of stuck in the middle right now. 

Got it, I feared this might be the case.  I'm used to this being somewhat ubiquitous in other PM products so it's a bit of a surprise.

Alex Ortiz December 16, 2021

The way I've worked around this is to create a Jira Software project which will allow you to properly next Epics->Stories->Sub tasks.  BUT, because you lose the calendar view, I then use a Calendar plug-in to regain the Calendar view.  This is a paid product, but in my opinion it's affordable.  

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 6.07.18 PM.png

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Jeremy D September 22, 2022

This function is rolling out to the "List View" in JWM.

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud??selectedProduct=jiraWork&p=67f1229a-67

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2021

You said you set up a Service Management project, but your image shows that it is a Business project (a.k.a. Work Management). I'll answer accordingly.

You can add the Work Management project Calendar view to a Software project by using "Add Shortcut" in the navigation pane and manually creating the Calendar shortcut.

https://<yourJiraUrl>/jira/core/projects/<yourSoftwareProjectKey>/calendar

Concerning adding Epics to Work the response from @Earl McCutcheon in the following post may provide some insight for you:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Epics-in-Business-Project-won-t-mark-as-done/qaq-p/1012538

Ah, yes, apologies for lack of clarity there, it is a Work Management project that we've been working to customize.

Re: adding the shortcut, that works!  But, for users I can see this being troublesome because by clicking on the Calendar shortcut they'll suddenly be looking at the project in the Core product, which is lacking Roadmap etc.

Not confusing at all  ;-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events