• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Epic Status list - has it changed?

All documentation indicates there are 3 Epic Statuses: 

1. To Do
  2. In Progress 
  3. Done

However, when I attempt to Bulk update the EPIC STATUS, there are more statuses: 

2021-02-08_10-58-22.png

Also, when I "Mark as done" the epic status updates to NEW.   

Now when I update the EPIC status to DONE, the EPICS are still showing in the Epic view of a backlog. 

Can someone explain? 

4 answers

I do not see these additional statuses in my JIRA Cloud instance (Standard plan), so it would not appear to be affecting all JIRA Cloud customers.

I recommend that you open a support ticket directly with Atlassian.

Hi @Maria Gamboso , 

welcome to the community! 

The Epic status is a locked field, so you can't edit it to add more statusses (on server you can if you really want to though), so yes, open an issue with Atlassian for that. 
Have you migrated issues from server/datacenter to that environment that might have had added values to the field? 

That being said, Normally the last status in the list is "Done", and documentation states, that if you mark an epic as Done, that the epic status will be set to the last status in the list -> for you, that is NEW, so that does explain that behaviour.

Let us know how it worked out! 

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Feb 08, 2021

Hi Maria - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Epics are just another issue type. And as such, are linked to workflows. So the workflow that the issue type is linked to determines the statuses. 

So, in your case, it looks like the Epic has been linked to a new workflow within the workflow scheme for that project.

Go to Project Settings > Workflows to see what workflow the Epic is attached to. 

@John Funk 

I think that would only affect the Status field, which is a separate field in the bulk change screen.

Epic Status is a field unique to Epic issue types, and not associated to a workflow.

Like # people like this
John Funk Community Leader Feb 08, 2021

Ah, you are correct - I misread the field name.  :-)

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Feb 08, 2021

is it possible you have an addon that might present these additional Epic statuses?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,047 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you