Epic Name appears empty in filters

maria lopez August 31, 2022

I have seen some posts about this from 2019 and 2021 but I still see that it is not possible to retrieve an Epic name using filters. It can be selected as a column but it has no info. When is this going to be available? It is crucial for reporting, we have a very big product and reporting on Epic links it is not practical plus it doesn't give any visibility to stakeholders. 

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

Hi @maria lopez , if you are working with CMP projects then there will be an Epic name present. If you are not seeing this behavior please share full screenshots of example. In TMP the Epic name does not apply, rather the Parent field is used to connect a Story to an Epic. 

Thanks for the reply @Jack Brickey This is what I get from a simple query. There is no Epic name or parent. 

Queryjpg.jpg

I'm not sure how to check if our Project is a CMP or TMP though

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

In the bottom left you will see Company managed or Team managed project.

Ah, thanks. It says CPM. I have also checked the Epics and they have a value under the "name" field. 

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 31, 2022

Hi @maria lopez, maybe I'm misunderstanding something but from the "issue type" icon it looks like all of these issues are bugs. Bugs don't have an epic-name; only epics have an epic name (although you can also see the epic names in the epic links).

If you change your query to include epics, you'll see the epic name for these issues (at least for epics from CMP's).

thanks, @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira I'm a bit of a newbie with queries. How would I include the epic in it? We have created epics to categorize bugs, not perfect but it is the way we have right now to run reports on issues. 

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 31, 2022

> How would I include the epic in it

This depends on your data, but you want to make sure that your JQL statement (which, at the moment, is project = BUGBUSTERS AND createdDate >= startOfYear()) "includes" your epics. If they are not in the list, they are either in a different project, or they have been created before the start of the year, or both. But I can also imagine that they are already part of your list; there's 807 issues after all. Have you tried sorting your list e.g. by the issue type and checking if the epics are somewhere in your list? 

But the meta question, I guess, is what data you actually want to generate and report on. Just having a couple of epics in your list of issues may not generate a huge amount of value.

Do you imagine a more "hierarchical" view, where your bugs are listed "below" their respective epics?

We use the Epics to categorize the issues. Each Epic represents a module or feature of our product so we can track how many bugs per feature/module have been created and so easily find trends or overarching issues. When exporting this report to a csv it becomes very cumbersome to find to which Epic the ticket belongs to, hence asking for the Epic name. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events