Epic Link is empty in the detail view of a task

Thomas K. August 26, 2022

Hi,

the following problem: I have created an Epic. Then I create a task and want to assign it to the Epic. I can do this either directly when creating the task or later in the detail view of the task. Both works.

However, when I close the task and open it again, the Epic link is not displayed in the task detail view (more precisely: it appears for a fraction of a second when the page is loaded and then the "Epic link" field is empty). When I open the Epic, the assigned task is displayed correctly.

I.e. the assignment has worked but in the task detail view it is no longer visible. What could be the cause of this problem? Can someone give me a hint?

best regards
Thomas

3 answers

0 votes
Andrew Culver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2023

Was there any answer to this? I'm having the exact same problem. It shows the Epic link being set in the issue activity and the Epic link field appears populated. Likewise, after reloading my Epic link is blank. However I do not see the Task listed under Issues in the Epic as Thomas did.

Update: I was a project admin in the Jira project of the issue I was editing. But I had no project-level permissions in the project that the Epic that I was linking to was in. After making myself an admin of the Epic's project, I was then able to set the Epic link on the issue and have it stay.

I guess it makes sense that I shouldn't be able to add tasks to an Epic in a project I have no access to... It's just strange that it would allow me to edit the Epic link, then silently remove it due to a permission issue, rather than not allow me to make the change at all and/or provide me with an error message.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2022

Hi,

The behavior here sounds like something is changing the value for that field.  Perhaps automation.  Try looking at the issue History.  I think in your screenshot it would be the button that's called 'Verlauf' within the issue view.

This can at least show you the value of that field historically. As well as who might have changed it.

Alternatively, in the issue view, there is the Automation field, you can click the Rule Executions, which will change that view to show you the most recent automation rules that have executed on that particular issue.  If you have an automation rule changing field values on the issue, then this is the most likely explanation for the behavior presented here.

Regards,

Andy

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2022

@Andy Heinzer 

Note that the user said even though the Epic Link field is blank in the child issue, when viewing the Epic itself the issue appears there as a child of the Epic.

Thomas K. August 31, 2022

Hi,

in the history there is only the entry, that I assigned the ticket to the epic. For better explentation I've created a new ticket. As you can see in the history there are only 3 entries, see below.

The automation does not deal with the epic field.

pic4.JPG

Regards,

Thomas

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2022

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for that information.  I created a support case on your behalf over in https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23/JST-796818

Please grant our support team access to your site.  With that, our team can investigate the behavior here in more depth.

Cheers,

Andy

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi Thomas - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you share some screenshots? 

Thomas K. August 29, 2022

Hi John,

here are a some screeshots:

1. picture: I assigned the epic link "Epic #1" to the ticket.

pic1.JPG

2. picture: After reload the page the entry of epic link disappeared.

pic2.JPG

3. picture: When you look into the Epic, the ticket is assigned.pic3.JPG

kind regards

Thomas

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

What type of project are you using? Team-managed? Company-managed? Jira Work Management? 

It is a Company-managed project.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

Okay, thanks for sharing all of that. Since you are on a Free subscription, let me see if we can get someone from Atlassian to take a look at it for you. 

That would be nice.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders