Epic Link field option missing under Jira Linked Field list in ProForma-- any workaround?

Chelsea December 21, 2021

Bit of context: Setting up a couple forms for easier issue generation and within my team's project we're requiring epic links for a majority of the issue types. 

I've had no issues linking other ProForma fields to existing & custom Jira fields, but when navigating through the Linked Jira Field list in the ProForma form builder, there is no option for epic link. 

The Epic Link field is present in the issue type this form is associated with, and I've tried the steps outlined here: https://docs.thinktilt.com/proforma/Linking-ProForma-Fields-to-Jira-Fields.1574273169.html to no avail.

I've also investigated the automation options within ProForma to see if there is a way to pre-set the epic link field upon issue creation but in-app automation options are fairly limited.

Has anyone run into a similar issue / is there a workaround for this? As it currently stands since one required field isn't showing up as a linkable option the entire form can't be submitted.

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2021

Hi Chelsea - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What type of project is this? Company-managed? Team-managed? Jira Work Management? Jira Service Management?

Chelsea December 22, 2021

Hey John-- thanks for the welcome, it's a Team-managed project. I'm in the process of trying to migrate issues & forms from a Service Management project into this Team-managed one and the above issue is one of the hurdles I'm facing. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2021

Ah, suspected as much. Team-managed projects do not use the Epic Link. See if you can find the Parent field - that is what is used instead. 

Chelsea December 22, 2021

Ah I see, thank you! I'll follow-up with my Jira Admin to see if they can let me know what that Parent field is. 

Once it's been determined, I should be able to link the ProForma field to the Parent field and that would satisfy the epic link requirement right? Or would it be changing the Epic Link requirement to a requirement for the Parent field and then linking that field in ProForma?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2021

To be honest, I have not used team-managed projects much. And definitely have not tried with the parent field with Forms like this. 

Chelsea December 23, 2021

All good, your input has been super helpful-- still waiting to hear back from my admin, but I'll update this incase anyone else runs into a similar issue. Thanks again and happy holidays!

Like John Funk likes this
Clayton Chow March 2, 2022

HI,

Did anyone get this to work (i.e. having a Bug created from a Form with a default Epic Link set) ?

In my Company-managed project, I have created a "Long Text" question on my Form, however "Epic Link" is not an available option in the "Link to Jira Field" dropdown.  

It has "Epic Name", but I'm unable to have that accurately set the Epic Name or Epic Link value when creating a Bug.

I tried the workarounds in the original link with no success.

Dawn Fuina August 26, 2022

I tried the same exact thing but it doesn't work

I am trying the same getting a bug to link to an epic upon intake and the only solution i can see available (but fails) is to prepopulate the "Epic Link" field with a default of the literal Epic Name .  Issue key is not available for selection ... Also tried hardcoding the URL of the issue (epic) but the jira fields dont map to urls..  Other ideas welcomed.  This is a software project that I'm an admin of.

0 votes
Brüse, Bernhard November 8, 2023

Hi there,

We are currently evaluating ProForms on a Jira Data Center instance. I was missing Jira issue link field incl. the Epic link custom field, too. Then, Google took me here :) I think I have a kind of workaround in which you may be interested in.

• I placed a "Short text" question named "Epic link" on the form and provided it with a regex pattern so only valid issue keys can be entered.
  • Then, I created a project automation which is triggered after issue creation. It edits the issue by setting the "Epic link" custom field with the following smart value.
{{issue.properties."proforma.forms.i1".state.answers.13.text.toUpperCase()}}

To be honest with you: I don't really like it. There is no validation available that the provided issue key really leads to an issue of type Epic.

We haven't consider yet to give the app a real try on production. From my point of view, ProForms is a good thing for JSM projects but it can't really replace an issue create screen for JSW projects. Maybe, it provides added value as nice checklists to JSW issues.

Suggest an answer