Epic Link - Default value

David Pleşu May 2, 2023

Hi,

I added the Epic Link(a custom field that is Locked) to a type of issue, and i set this field to be required from validators in the workflow.

But i need a default value - none, because not the issues needs epic link

How to proceed?

Thank you,

David

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

Hello @David Pleşu 

When you make a field mandatory through a Workflow Validator then you are telling the Jira the field cannot be left empty. Trying to set it to None is the same as telling Jira the field is empty. These are contradictory requirements.

Also note that the Epic Link field is valid only for standard issues types (i.e. Story, Task, Bug). You should not be using it in a workflow that applies to Epic type issue or Subtask type issues.

Perhaps you need to explain your use case more completely. What problem are you trying to solve? Walk us through the process.

David Pleşu May 2, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill

Thank you for your response, i have a issue type - defect, in my jira instance (jira software, cloud). I want this issue type to be assigned to an epic, in order to do this i need a field that is synced with all the epics that are created. The PDM asked that field to be mandatory, and with a default value - none, because are some issues that don't have an epic.

Best regards,

David.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

"None" (literal value) is not a valid value for the Epic Link field. That field can be either empty or have a single issue key for an Epic. So, you cannot set the field to "None" and have that satisfy the Validator that says the field is required.

To use a validator to make that field required only for some issues you would need to be able to "explain" to Jira when the field will not be required. Otherwise how is Jira supposed to know when it is acceptable for the field to have no value? You would have to have some way to identify that a particular issue does not need to have the Epic Link field filled, without relying on the Epic Link field itself to make that determination. 

And who will decide that the Epic Link is not required? Can any user who can execute the transition make that decision? In that case you could end up with never getting the Epic Link field filled because any user could decide it isn't required for any issue.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023

Epic Link doesn't lend itself to default values, because that's not really how Epics are intended to be used.

The person creating a story should be informed enough to know which Epic an issue should be attached to, or if they do not, be able to leave it empty for someone else to link it if needed.

David Pleşu May 2, 2023

Thank you, for your response.

But is there a different way to solve the problem: i need a field that to automatically synced with all the epics that are created, and to be mandatoary, and with a ddefault value - none. This field to be single-choice ( of an epic)

Thank you,

Daviid

Suggest an answer