Epic Feature Story Hierarchy?

Khadhar Mohaideen October 8, 2018

I have a requirement where we want to introduce Features as an issue type with the hierarchy of Epic --> Feature ---> Story ---> Sub-tasks., where we should be able to link Features as children of Epic and Stories as children of Features (with a filed similar to "Epic Link", such as "Feature Link" which links Features to Stories). 

I don't want to rename Epic.  Please let me know if this is possible in Jira.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2018

Hello,

You would need a plugin, which would let you to show your issues as a hierarchy. For example, you could use the Structure plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/34717/structure-for-jira-projects-at-scale?hosting=server&tab=overview

Khadhar Mohaideen October 9, 2018

Thank you Alexey.. I suppose this the same functionality as provided by Jira Portfolio plug-in..

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2018

With Portfolio, I don't think you can "insert" Feature level between Epics and Stories (without renaming Epics to become "Features"). Additional levels can be added above Epics.

Also, in Portfolio the levels are configured globally for the whole instance.

(But sometimes that's sufficient and people do rename Epics.)

Structure has a different approach – with hierarchies configurable per structure and basically the way you want. You'll need to use issue links though to represent the relationships Epic-Feature and Feature-Story. (Alternatively, you can just manage the hierarchically manually in Structure, without representing it with Jira data.)

Hope this helps!

Igor

Khadhar Mohaideen October 11, 2018

Thank you Igor. That's really helpful ...!

Manali Butey March 28, 2021

Hi @Igor Sereda [ALM Works]  - I plan to use issue link to establish Component -> Epic -> Feature -> User Story -> Task hierarchy. In order to do this, should I be creating "relates to" link from epic to feature and then open feature tickets and again create "relates to" links to user story and then open user story tickets and create "relates to" link to tasks ?

Does it matter from which issue type ticket I create the "relates to" link ?

I am currently using the below structure automation to display the hierarchy - what are your thoughts on below? is this the most efficient way ? can this be optimized?
Note: Component 1 and 2 is dummy data that is not required in the structure.

image.pngimage.png 

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 31, 2021

Hello Minali,

David from ALM Works here!

The direction of the link will matter, as well as the issues you are linking.

The "relates to" link would not initially be ideal, since both directions are listed as "relates to". This can cause some confusion when building your hierarchy (and in general).

You can rename the outward and inward text to make it clear which direction the link points. You could also create a new issue link and customize it to your needs.

You will want to establish the links as you mention "Component -> Epic -> Feature -> User Story -> Task".

The structure you picture is very well crafted!

Please let us know if you have any additional questions! The support team can be reached via support@almworks.com

Best,
David

rewilliams September 27, 2021

@Manali Butey Did you use the Structure pluggin?  just asking in reference to you stated that you used "structure automation" to get the hierarchy.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Manali Butey September 30, 2021

Hi @rewilliams Yes, I used Structure plugin and we ended up using 'is parent of' and ''is child of' issue links between the issuetype to establish the hierarchy.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Jakob Nilsson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 10, 2023

Hello,

I would like to know if 'Jira Software Cloud Standard' edition  today in late 2023 supports this level of structure out of the box?
- Namely: Epic > Features > Story

If not, is Structure by Tempo - Jira Portfolio Management & PPM | Atlassian Marketplace my only option?

B.R.
Jakob
Product Owner

Like Simone Kiernan likes this
0 votes
Bryan McMillan October 11, 2018

Khadhar,

You can acquire the SAFe Epic to Feature Translation https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218959/safe-epic-to-feature-translator-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=pricing,

which will update all of the places in Jira with the word "Feature" where the word Epic now shows up.  And you don't need to necessarily be doing Scaled Agile Framework to us it.  All of the characteristics you are used to using Epics will now be Feature Name, Feature Link, Feature Color, etc.  Jira will use Features in place of Epics once installed.  So, you then go create an Issue called Epic, which will then be just like any other Issue in Jira (i.e., just like Story, Spike, Bug, etc.) and link those to your Feature Issues.  Portfolio will need to have it's hierarchy updated to accommodate the change.  I have installed this Add-On a good number of times and it works without problems or issues.  It might take some training of your end-users to understand that it is now a Feature in place of the Epic and if you create an Epic to be higher in the hierarchy they'll need to understand that.  Features will have children Stories and Stories will have Sub-Tasks.  If you do create another new Epic Issue Type then Epics will have Linked Features using the Issue Link.

Hope this helps!

Bryan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events