Epic Colours

Azandè Caldicott April 25, 2023

I am trying to add colour section to my Epics, to quickly distinguish the difference - and lets face it, the colours look pretty on the board :) 

I have another board where the section to change the Epic colour does come up when creating a new epic, when I select Epic as the issue type.

I am working on another board where I am the admin as well, and I want to have the option to colour the Epics on this board as well, but I cannot add it in the custom fields section and not sure how to add in the colour section?

I have compared the two boards' settings to see if i am missing anything but they look the same to me.

Any help would be appreciated to be able to colour code the Epics on my board please! 

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Hi @Azandè Caldicott and welcome to the Community!

There's quite a few different product (Jira Software, Jira Work Management, Jira Service Management, Jira Product Discovery) and project (Company Managed, Team Managed) types in Jira, all having their own peculiarities when it comes to settings.

Since Epics are essentially a part of Jira Software, let me try to zoom in on Jira Software here and explain the difference of how to color epics in company managed vs team managed projects.

In both cases, it may be useful to start from the Epics panel in the backlog view of your board. In Company managed projects, just select the coloured triangle next to your epic in the Epic panel and change the colour right there:

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 13.52.58.png

In team managed projects, just open the Epic itself and on the view issue screen, click the colour box next to the Epic title at the top of the issue. You can select a different colour right there:

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 13.55.19.png

Hope this helps!

Azandè Caldicott April 25, 2023

Hi @Walter Buggenhout ,

Thank you so much for your response! 

The board that was created was a Project Management board - do you know if there is a way for me to assign colours to Epics in that board? This is a Team Managed board. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events