Enable transition button if workflow is using condition?

Sphere Jira Consultant October 24, 2017

Hello community,

Need your assistance. Here's the simplified scenario:

Workflow: To Do >>> In Progress >>> Done
Sub-task blocking condition here: To Do >>> In Progress >>> Done (condition doesn't allow to transition issue from In Progress to Done when there're any open subtasks);

On a View issue screen I don't see transition button "Done" when there're any open sub-tasks. Users could be confused significantly. 

Is there a way to enable some sort of pop up which says: "Hey, in order to move this issue to done - please close all the sub-tasks"?

Or maybe just enable a transition button, but make it "inactive"?

Please assist. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2017

I'd use the "message field (for view)" from the Jira Toolkit to place some text on the screen.

Or remove the condition, but re-implement it as a validator, so the user starts the transition and then gets told why they can't proceed.

Sphere Jira Consultant October 24, 2017

Thanks for the quick turnaround. This could work.

1. What validator to choose? https://image.prntscr.com/image/JtXxT8iCTgKMY2-T9RevWw.png

Not sure what do you mean.

2. Could you please elaborate more on "message field (for view)" from the Jira Toolkit? How to implement this solution?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2017

Ah, you'll need a bit of code to do a validator to check the subtasks.  There might be one in the marketplace already though.

The Toolkit option -

Install the toolkit from "find new add-ons" (it's free)

Go to custom fields and add a new one, selecting "message for view"

Add it to the issue view screen(s) needed

Go back into the custom field configuration and add some text to the *default* value (not description!)

Atlassian Lab October 25, 2017

Thanks, Nic! That works for me.

Suggest an answer