Enable epic tickets in sprint backlog

Anja Eigner November 30, 2022

Hi there,

I would like to see my epics as a ticket in my sprint backlog. I do see the epic ticket in my active sprint but not in my backlog - I see the epics just in the epic panel, which is not enough/ideal for my kind of project.

I only find articles and videos how to disable epics, which I could do reverse, but only for kanban boards. The way how they show how to disable epics is never shown for sprint boards.

Does anyone know how I can have my epics as a ticket shown in the backlog list together with stories, bugs and tasks?

We use a comapny-shared project.

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2022

hello @Anja Eigner 

Take a look at "Display the epic panel in your backglog" section in this document:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/enable-the-backlog/

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

@robert Mugabuhamye 

That page is for Team Managed projects. The poster indicated they are using a Company Managed project.

Like Nelson Loia Jr_ likes this
robert Mugabuhamye
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2022

Indeed, apologies @Anja Eigner  :(

Anja Eigner December 1, 2022

Thanks anyways @robert Mugabuhamye ;) 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

Hello @Anja Eigner 

Showing Epics in the issue list in a Scrum backlog is not a supported feature

The Backlog list is intended to show items that could be assigned to Sprints. Epics should not be assigned to Sprints as they typically are of a scope that is too large to be completed within a sprint.

What problem are you actually trying to solve by showing Epics in the issue list rather than the Epics panel?

Anja Eigner December 1, 2022

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your response even though it's not what I was hoping for :D 

It would help one of your product owners with the prioritization of the tasks of the team. It would give him the option to planned epics with its tasks and stories for the upcoming sprints.

Anyway, since it's not planned to work in a scrum backlog, we will find another way to solve his problem.

Thanks & best,

Anja

Like Getjan_lammers likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2022

You can still plan the tasks and stories for upcoming sprints without having the Epics within the list of Backlog issues.

How does having them segregated to the Epics pane hinder your planning?

Anja Eigner December 2, 2022

It doesn't hinder our planning, it would help the PO with the prio for each team and having a better overview of each increment for each sprint. 

Nevertheless, we will handle it in a typical scrum way

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events