Email requests

Ted April 2, 2021

Hi Everyone!

Ok, weird question, we have users that do not want to use the portal to open tickets.  They send a email to our help desk and our help desk forwards the email to Jira and Jira opens a ticket.

Problem is, we send a confirmation email to the user telling them we have gotten the request and are working on it.

When the portal gets the email from the reporter, the email goes to the reporter, when helpdesk email gets used, the email goes to the helpdesk as it sees the hd as the reporter.

I know what you are thinking, make users use the portal.  Well not so easy to get there.

What I am asking, do any of you know a way to have a user use the helpdesk email and when it gets forwarded to Jira, Jira would be able to send the confirmation to the reporter (user) and not the helpdesk?

Hopefully that makes sense.

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2021

I "understand" they don't want to use the portal to create their tickets. I've seen a lot of companies where this is an issue. Not sure why though... Anyway

Why don't you ask the users to send their emails directly to the Jira email address instead of using that other email address that needs manual forwarding?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2021

Hi @Ted

I agree with @Charlie Misonne - if the user sends the email directly to the portal's email address, they'll receive the automated response.

Otherwise, I'd encourage users to use the Help Desk. I'd either tell users that without using the help desk you can't offer assistance, or if that's too strong - at least remind them the help desk is designed to help them, can offer self-service options (eg. Knowledge Base articles) and provides your team with the most specific information to answer their queries quickly!

Ste

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2021

You can set up your JSM project to allow external users to send email to it to create a request. One way of doing it is to add the external user as a customer to your JSM project. Under customer settings you can configure how your customers can send email and use the portal.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events