Email notification when story changes state

Gina Hendershot June 18, 2021

I used to be able to receive emails when sprint stories were changed to a specific state like "Ready for QA".   Now I'm not getting those emails anymore and I don't see a place to be able to set up that specific type of email notification. 

Was this functionality removed when Jira became Zephyr?  Please allow this again. It's very useful to my busy QA team so that we don't have to constantly check when a Developer has moved any story into 'Ready for QA' whether my name is on the story or not. 

The only option I see right now is to mark myself as a "Watcher" on every story in the sprint; then I'm inundated with emails for every change to the story, not just the change I'm looking for. 

Thanks. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

Are you working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

For a Company Managed project the notifications are sent based on the Notification Scheme, generally speaking. There is an event for sending notifications for status changes, but it is for all status changes.

It is possible that there could also be a Workflow Transition Post Function or an Automation rule that was sending the notification.

I'm not sure what you mean by "when Jira became Zephyr". Jira and Zephyr are separate products. Jira has not "become" Zephyr.

I believe it's a Company Managed project. 

I remember setting up the notification for myself last year so it was on a person-by-person basis. I would get an email whenever any story was placed into the 'Ready for QA' status. 

"when Jira became Zephyr" - what I meant was Jira (I think) was used for managing the test cases under Atlassian early last year and later in the year it "became" Zephyr to manage test cases.  Although I'm not sure now why that would have affected the email notification stuff. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

Hello @Gina Hendershot 

I forgot to say, welcome to the community! :-)

It will say at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left which type of project it is (Team or Company).

I don't recall ever having a personal setting for specifying notification based on a Status change.  Not saying it wasn't ever there, I just don't recall seeing it.

I thought there was an Issue Transitioned event available in the Notification scheme, but I'm not seeing one there now.

So, the ways you could set this up to notify you are:

- Set an Automation rule to be triggered on that specific transition and send you an email.

- Change the workflow to send you an email in the transition post function (possible, but not a particularly good way to go).

- Set up a saved filter to find issues where the status was changed to the specific status, and subscribe to it to get notifications as often as you want.

Trudy, thank you for the suggestions!  I will look into them and see which one works for me. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events