Effector not able to fill value in hidden field

Alok Kumar July 15, 2021

Hi Team,

I have a requirement where I need to store one of the date field (the field data of this can be changed by the user later) to compare between the previous and latest value and show the difference.

E.g. Initially vendor confirms Delivery date =31/August/2021 and after some days the vendor changes the date to 31/October/2021 so  Delivery date =31/October/2021 it is needed that I save the initial date i.e. 31/August/2021 in some other field (lets say I have a field "Accepted" where I store this data) to calculate what is the difference between the two dates. I am using effector to copy the data from Delivery date field to Accepted field. The challenge is effector only works if I add this Accepted field to my project page which I am fine with but the next challenge is, this Accepted field is visible to the vendor (as it is part of the edit screen) and they can change this field as well with same date (31/October/2021) and then my calculation will not be able to catch the difference. If I hide the Accepted field the next challenge comes the effector is not able to copy the data from Delivery date to Accepted field. 

This Accepted field should be filled only once, which I can control via effector with is empty condition.

Accepted and Delivery date is custom defined field.

My ask is how to make effector work to copy the data from Delivery date to accepted and then make Accepted as read only.

2 answers

1 vote
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 15, 2021

Hello @Alok Kumar ,

David from ALM Works here.  

Unfortunately, Effectors would not be able to solve your use case.  In order for them to work, the field needs to be on the edit screen.  Structure always considers Jira permissions, in this case, it is the ability to edit the field.

I've been looking at other community posts and documentation, but it appears there is no real way to lock a field for a particular group of users either.  This seems to be the heart of the issue.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best Regards,
David Niro
www.almworks.com

Alok Kumar July 19, 2021

Thanks Niro, for looking into but this seems to be a big gap as to calculate deviation from original value. We need to store the original value in non editable field but this is not supported and Jira is not able to provide me the difference between old and new value for the same field (custom field) if it is changed by its own. seems like a deadlock to me.

Do you know any other way I can get the deviation between original and latest value (keeping in mind I always need difference between value first time and latest value not been last two values of this field)?

Thanks

Alok Kumar

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

What do you mean by "effector"?  Automation?  Script?  Listener or function from an app?

Alok Kumar July 19, 2021

Hi, Please use this link to know about effectors in Jira:

https://wiki.almworks.com/display/structure/Effectors

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer