Edit issue from API not returning anything

audun hilden April 30, 2024

I'm sending a PUT request to `rest/api/2/issue/:issueKey?returnIssue=true` to edit an issue, which should return the updated issue according to the documentation.

However, I'm only receiving a 204 response with no content. Is there a known issue with this endpoint, or am I missing something in my request? Any guidance or documentation on correctly using this feature would be helpful.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2024

Is there a known issue with this endpoint?

Nope. Both the v2 and v3 versions of that endpoint are working perfectly for me. If I add returnIssue=true to the request, then I get the expected 204 message and the extra JSON response telling me what fields I changed.

am I missing something in my request?

When you tested the request in your API test tool, did you get a different result to your coded version of the request?

audun hilden May 3, 2024

I get 204 No Content without a body on both Insomnia and Postman.

s5jZ78faamvawT

I tried changing the "set" value in case it only returned changes too.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2024

Are you 100% absolutely positively sure you're sending this request to a Jira CLOUD instance and not a Jira SERVER or Jira DATA CENTER instance? (I can't tell, since that information in the request URL is obfuscated as a host variable in your screen grabs).

The Edit Issue endpoint of those two products absolutely does not support the use of a returnIssue parameter. Only the v2 and v3 endpoints for Jira CLOUD supports it.

audun hilden May 6, 2024

You're right, we're on Jira Server.

Thank you @David Bakkers

Suggest an answer