ERROR: CJ8G6B - Copied link cannot open in another client

Mesut Can June 1, 2021

Hi all,

I am developing plugins for jira cloud. When I try to share a link to another, the other client cannot open that link with query string. It gets an error "Something's gone wrong Our team has been notified. If the problem persists, please contact Atlassian Support. ERROR: CJ8G6B Reload page". 

https://mesutcan.atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/ac/com.obss.plugin.time-in-status/time-in-status?parameterSet=97c20ec6-d43f-4e1b-894e-d16d1c47549f 

What is the reason of that? Thank you for your time.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

That code doesn't really tell us, the end user, anything.  It's actually a tag for Atlassian to say "this error has occurred for this set of Cloud systems (it could be just your system, it could have happend on others too)".  It's a bit more clever than just "look for this code in the logs ", but that's essentially all it is - a tag for collecting information about the problem from all the various places you might want to look in the back end.

For us, it just enables Atlassian to quickly locate what went wrong, and potentially tell you what they're doing about it, or what has been fixed and possible outcomes, without having to go and ask the support people for all the potentially affected clients who ask about it.

So, while the error message tells us nothing, there are two things you can do - first, retry, as Atlassian may have fixed it by now.  Second, report it to Atlassian as a support call and see what they say.

Mesut Can June 1, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- thank you for your response, actually I was expecting Jira to redirect to login page if the user is not logged in, but it gets 401 error and not redirecting.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

That does not seem to have anything to do with what you asked about earlier.

Sergei Afanasev December 2, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I think it does. I have the same problem. Then someone tries to open my plugin from the direct link, "Something's gone wrong" message appears instead of login page. And it doesn't matter, if plugin page doesn't have "user_is_logged_in" condition in the plugin descriptor.

I can try it yourself. Just open any Jira cloud plugin, then copy its url, log off (or just use incognito mode of your browser) and try to use copied url.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

I think I see what you mean, but it's still not relevant to the actual error message you're getting, or what to do about it.

The obvious thing to do though is not try to use urls for apps that you've not got a valid session with.

Link sharing is common practice. I don't think that it is possible to explain users that they should not try to access our plugin through direct link. It looks like a bug in Jira.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

It's not a bug, it's doing the right thing. 

But I think it's an error message that could be improved.  The system should be able to see "not logged in" when they land on the url as being the cause, and hence be able to tell the user instead of just give them the error code it gets from the app.

I think it is, because in Jira there are two scenarios for users then they not logged in. If users tries to load public page (which is accessible without logging in), the page will be displayed. If user tries to access a page that requires authorisation, then login page is displayed. Same should apply to plugins.

Vladislav Taravkov December 14, 2021

The right thing?

It was mentioned above that Jira does not take into account whether the "user_is_logged_in" condition is present in the descriptor or not. It always throws an error without telling the user anything. How is this a "right thing"?

The right thing should be:

If the "user_is_logged_in" condition is present and the user is not logged in -- show the error message "This app is not accessible to anonymous users" or just redirect to the login page.

If the "user_is_logged_in" condition is not present and the user is not logged in -- proceed to the app anonymously because that is what the app descriptor is configured for.

So yes, this is a bug in Jira Cloud

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2021

Nope, not a bug, please re-read the previous comments.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events