Dynamically make an issue start once a predecessor is complete?

karen.loomis June 29, 2021

If we say an issues is blocked by another issue (or is dependent upon another issue) - can we set the start date of the second activity = the end date of the predecessor?

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2021

Hi @karen.loomis  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You seem to be asking two different questions with your post title and the question contents:

1. can we dynamically start an issue once its predecessor has completed?
  2. using issue block links, can we set the start date of an issue based upon the end date (due date?) of the predecessor?

You could do both of these with automation for Jira rules... However for (1) starting an issue automatically when another finishes seems to me "pushing work" onto a team/person rather than letting them know: "this item can be started when you are available".

And for (2), you may want to consider the roadmap feature to see this visually rather than setting the dates with a rule.

Best regards,
Bill

lhz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 27, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy,

could you expand a bit more on which automation could be used? Especially for (1)? I didn't find a trigger that targets a predecessor issue.

Best regards and thanks in advance!

Hendrick

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

Hi @lhz -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You are correct that there is no built-in trigger...Instead consider using a Issue Transitioned trigger for the first issue, and then find the predecessor based upon how they are dependent.

For example, when using issue links for dependencies you could use JQL to find the issue and then take action on it within a branch.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events