Due to the configuration for this particular board, you'll have to use the full dialog to create a new issue.

Alfie Kirkpatrick March 18, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring a board

This message was given on the planning board when I tried to create a new issue. Previously you can quickly enter the title of new issues on the board and fill in the detail later. Now it is showing the full create issue lightbox.

The only thing changed recently was the filter used for the board. The help link didn't provide an answer to this particular problem.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2016

I think this message can be misleading sometimes - it's not really the board that triggers it, more the underlying JIRA configuration. 

The obvious question is "what change did you make to the filter"?  My guess is that it now includes a project or issue type that has some configuration that the quick-create can't handle (such as a mandatory custom field that the board isn't aware of).

Alfie Kirkpatrick March 18, 2016

Thanks for super fast response!

The filter is now: project = Xxxx AND ("Epic Link" != Xx-714 OR issuetype = Epic OR "Epic Link" is EMPTY) ORDER BY Rank ASC

I'm trying to run two boards, one related to a particular epic and another (this one) that is for everything else. I don't really want to have two projects but these boards have different sprint cycles.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2016

Ah-ha, that's not quite what I expected, but I think I know the answer - the message also gets popped up when your board filter excludes all projects and issue types available.  I think the combination of your "epic link !=" or "epic link is empty" may be pushing it into that state.

Could you try that filter in the issue navigator and see if it returns anything?

David Puchosic March 6, 2018

On Jira Software Server v7.2.2, I ran into this too. We were attempting to separate out a Support Board using Epic's. I think this also leads to statuses missing from the Board. I was able to temporarily reduce the JQL and configure the status in columns, then put my JQL back in.  However, it will show status like they shouldn't be there, even though the data is there.  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-11623

In our case, I just don't want a set of Epics nor the related issues in our Sprint Board. I'm open to ideas, was looking for a way to avoid splitting a Project apart, which isn't ideal downstream. Components had drawbacks too.  I'm also not handling issues missing Epics very well yet.

project in (ATL) AND "Epic Link" not in (ATL-150, ATL-506) OR project in (ATL) AND issuetype in (Epic, Sub-task) AND issuekey not in (ATL-150, ATL-506) ORDER BY Rank ASC

FYI... I've also ran into limitations using category = "PRODUCTXYZ", those boards don't display in the Project Level Board list, which I think is also interpreting the underlying JQL.  ScriptRunner project in projectMatch("APP*") helped me there.

Suggest an answer