Double count of estimates when using Sub Tasks?

Joe Woods September 5, 2011

Hey guys --

I am curious if I'm making a mistake and missing something. But I'd like to set up a way to confirm I don't "double up" on estimates for a User Story that has sub tasks.

Case is : IF I set up a Story. How can I set up validation to remove any time estimates on the story (Parent) once I set up a sub task(s) (Child Issues)?

My understanding is that the Parent story is only the sum of its parts. Is there any way to help us avoid accidental assigning of values once we set up the sub tasks?

Would this be modification in how the objects are defined?

what have others done?

2 answers

1 vote
Joe Woods October 5, 2011

Yes - I am also looking at how to avoid resolving the sub tasks but keeping it's Parent story open. Also - on this point - if a sub task is CLOSED and there is time remaining. I'd like to force a validation that this should be impossible. any thoughts?

1 vote
Jon Cotter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2011

We enforce it by only having fields in one type of ticket... so for example... you can only put a time estimate in a subtask, and you can only put story points in a story (and not a subtask).

You might want to do something like that.

Suggest an answer