Does moving story to other jira project trigger webhook event "issue_moved"?

Anatoliy Mazur July 15, 2021

When I move a story to a jira project that's integrated - I receive a webhook event "issue_moved".
However when I move a story from an integrated jira project - I do not receive a webhook event. 
These are my observations.

So can I somehow track issues moved FROM jira project(doesn't matter where it is moved to) using webhook events?

1 answer

0 votes
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

Hi,

Welcome to the community.

You can trigger a webhook only when issue is created/updated or deleted. Since the old issue key is stored in the history you can try to get the informations you need by REST API.

Anatoliy Mazur July 15, 2021

Hi,
Thanks.
The webhook can be triggered when issues is updated, that is true. That is the case with moving issue to another project. I receive an event with the following data

"webhookEvent": "jira:issue_updated"
"issue_event_type_name": "issue_moved"

So moving issue is in fact an issue update. But the problem is I receive a webhook event only when I move the issue to a project, but not when I move it from a project.
Both should be considered as issue updates, not just one of them. Isn't that a bug?
I can get data using REST API, but I need to get notified by a webhook event, how would I know when to make a request?

Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2021

My guess is when the update is done, it fire an event, inside this event the issue belong to the target project so the update belong to this project and not to the source project. So i still believe that if you want to track it you need REST API or in your project, create a new field that will store the old issue key (populate by automation).

So with a jql like this "project = ABC and newcustomfield is not empty" you will be able to track all issue moved to your project.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events