Does Jira have a Task-Board as typically used by Scrum Teams?

berecom April 25, 2023

Hi Community,

i was following this Atlassian video here: Using Jira to Practice Professional Scrum | Scrum.org 

I explains and shows a task board that is composed of 4 colums. The first column contains all the selected PBIs in the Sprint (e.g. stories). In addition there are 3 more columns (to do, doing, done) that hold all sub-tasks of the stories. The subtasks are on the same rows as the corresponding stories.

This is a typical task board as used by many scrum teams.

(picture 1 - shows task board)

Taskboard.PNG

Now if you follow the video, you see a different tpye of board in Jira. But this is actually not a task board. You can move stories but not sub-tasks. 

(picture 2 - board in Jira is not a task board)

Jira-Board.PNG

Question: Is there actually a task board available in Jira?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Hi @berecom 

One of the beautiful things about Jira is the flexibility. So you can design the board for whatever columns you would like. Just set your workflow with the desired statuses (they can be exactly the same names as your first screenshot if you like), and then modify your board to use the statuses of your workflow. You can have column names that are different from the status names if you like, or even have multiple statuses in a single column. 

berecom April 25, 2023

Hi @John Funk,

Thanks for your answer. Maybe you can help me more on that?

Myself have reached a dead-end while trying to setup such a board. I was able to setup a board with the 3 columns containg the sub-tasks. However, I am missing the "partents" of the sub-task. The parents are all PBIs of the sprint, they are order by rank and are shown in the first column(!). I couldn't configure the 4th column for the PBIs.

The only way to show these PBIs was to set the board configuration to "group by stories". This shows a summary of the PBI (story) ontop of the sub tasks. 

So I'm happy for any hints. 

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2023

@berecom a couple of questions will help us to help you.

1. Are you using a company-managed project or team-managed project? You can see this at the bottom of the left nav bar on the project page 

2. If company-managed, can you share the query for your board filter? (If team-managed, I'm out, but I'm sure someone else can help). 

• You'll want to make sure that your filter pulls in both the parent issues and the sub-issues.
    • Then, you'll want to make sure that all the statuses in your workflow(s) that apply to the issues returned by your filter are mapped to columns on the board.

HTH, 

Kel

Like John Funk likes this
berecom August 24, 2023

Hi all,

After some researching, I eventually found an app that offers a Scrum Board as advertised in that Scrum Practices video by Atlassian.

This is the link: Subtask Whiteboard | Atlassian Marketplace

Jira out of the box does not support that kind of scrum boards.

So thanks @John Funk and @Kelly Arrey for your hints and your comments.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events