Do not start Story because of Epic start date

Marcel Huisman May 16, 2023

Is it possible to restrict the start of a Story if the EPIC start date is not yet due?

IE, not able to transition to In Progress/Done or not able to add to a sprint?

Thanks,

Marcel

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hello @Marcel Huisman 

There is no native functionality to block adding an issue to a sprint based on any condition. Natively the best you could do is detect that it happed using an Automation Rule. You could then send somebody a notification that it happened, or potentially remove the issue from the sprint within the same rule.

With regard to blocking the transition of the story based on criteria about its parent Epic, that also is not possible natively. It might be possible with third party apps that extend workflow Conditions and Validators capabilities (if your issues are in Company Managed projects).

Marcel Huisman May 22, 2023

I'm afraid notification comes sometimes too late if it is a simple short task.

Marcel Huisman May 22, 2023

I will try to create this automation to sent a notification. My first guess is to do an Advanced compare using smart values between epic start date and the current date, not sure which smart values to compare, any ideas?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

Your original post talked about two different options.

1. Not able to transition to In Progress/Done

2. Not able to add to sprint.

For which of those are you trying to create an automation rule?

If it is #2 would you want to be notified if the issue was added to an Active Sprint only, or to a Planned Sprint only, or to both?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events