• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Do not notify on changes to a custom field

We've configured automation to update the value of a specific field each day, however it sends emails to countless people each time it does so as the field is getting updated.

How can I either ignore changes to this field, or changes done by this specific user from triggering email notifications?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader Sep 01, 2020

Hi @rr  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Where are the emails coming from? I assume not Automation For Jira. I also assume they are coming as a part of the Notification Scheme attached to the project. You probably want to modify that to only send to Watchers when an issue is updated. And also modify the global setup to not add a user as a watcher once the simply interact with the issue. 

So basically we created a field that gets set when an issue is transitioned. That in itself is fine, then once a day it recalculates a second field of `Days in Status` as management wanted to know how long an issue had been in a status at a glance. If there is a better way to do that I will happily change.

The problem is when the update runs across 1100 opened issues, even though it is limited to just the watchers they still receive a lot of emails, especially our QA team. So when the `Days in Status` field is changed we don't want it to be notified to the watchers, either that or ignore any changes done by the user we configured to make these changes.

John Funk Community Leader Sep 02, 2020

Well, I guess the answer is that you can't have it both ways. You can't say I want the watchers to be notified when fields are updated. And you then you have automation update the field and then you say but I don't want the watcher to be notified. 

The problem is with the watchers. I have turned off sending the notifications to them in the Notification scheme. If the user wants to watch an issue they can do it through an activity stream on a dashboard. 

Okay thanks for that.

@rr @John Funk   I'm inplmenting something very similar. A scheduled Job that updates a lot of issues, but I don't want to send notifications.  Here's what worked for me...

Update the Scheduled Automation to include these steps

1. Create a Variable and assign the current watchlist. Make sure you use the Object reference and not the Properties: {{issue.watchers}}

2. Remove All the current Watchers

3. Save the Variable value from step 1 to a new Comment (not required, but its a backup)

4. Make what ever edits you need to the issue

5. Restore/Assign the Watch List using the Object list stored in the Variable from Step 1.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

John Funk Community Leader Mar 02, 2021

Very ingenious!  :-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Bitbucket Smart Commits vs. Genius Commits - What's the difference?

If you already heard about Smart Commits in Bitbucket, know that you just stumbled upon something even better (and smarter!): Genius Commits by Better DevOps Automation for Jira Data Center (+ Server...

130 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you