Do I have to make changes to entity.xml if I copied it over from a prod instance?

Rehnuma Noor August 13, 2020

Hello,

I'm currently working on setting up my Jira staging environment (v7.9.0) in a server separate from current prod. I did a fresh install of the application and copied over the home directory, and dumped a copy of the prod db. I updated the dbconfig.xml file with the dev db credentials. However, I noticed that the entities.xml still holds data from production (such as the instance name, db credentials, etc.).

1. Does the entity.xml file need to be updated manually? I'm worried that my dev instance might connect to prod by accident.
  2. Additionally, I noticed a second dbconfig.xml file in the "data" folder of the home directory (C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\data) and I'm not sure if that file should be there.

Thank you,

Rehnuma

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2020

entities.xml and dbconfig.xml are very very different files.

You should not even be looking at entities.xml here.  The only file you need to think about during your "copy live to a staging machine" is the dbconfig.xml file in the Jira home directory and the changes in there should be just to point the service at your staging database instead of the production database

Suggest an answer