Do I finally understand the procedure to remove a status?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023
  1. Issues > Workflows
  2. Copy active workflow.
  3. Remove status(es) from the copy.
  4. Open the workflow scheme.
  5. Click Add workflow > existing.
  6. Add the workflow; the old one is automatically replaced.
  7. Publish the draft workflow scheme > Click Associate > Click Acknowledge.
  8. Repeat the process to change the name back to the original name.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2023

HI @Phil Bustin ,

That sounds about right. Once added to the scheme, it should be associated to the issue types that require this workflow. 

If the status is not used, you can remove the status straight from the workflow.

-Ben 

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2023

Thank you.  I thought I included association in my instructions.

Like Benjamin likes this
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

Welcome. You did. Wasn't sure the step included issue type association but if it's implied...then you are good. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2023

That is one approach, yes.

Sometimes, there's no need to copy, you just flip to another workflow.  

The important bit you've got completely right (in that you're going to have to do them every time, no matter what your exact approach) is steps 5-7 - you need to stop using all the workflows that have a status you don't want to have there any more.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2023

Could you please elaborate on flipping to another workflow?

Also, in my limited experience, when I removed the status from one workflow, there was no warning that it would be removed from other workflows, but perhaps that is because it is not used in any other workflows.  It's counter-intuitive to me that if I add a status that is used in Workflow A to Workflow B, and then remove it from Workflow B, that it would also be removed from Workflow A.  I'll have to experiment.

And it seems to me that there needs to be a better solution than double-substitution, unless your suggestion about flipping to another workflow, once I understand it, is that better solution.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2023

I mean changing the workflow scheme - either flip the project to use a different workflow scheme, or edit the current scheme.

For example, if your workflow scheme currently says:

• Bug: bug-42 workflow

Edit that, so that it says 

• Bug: feature-42 workflow

When you save the scheme, it will go through a migration (assuming feature-42 is missing at least on of the status that bug-42 has)

>>when I removed the status from one workflow, there was no warning that it would be removed from other workflows,

It was not removed from other workflows.  Removing a status from one workflow has no effect on other workflows.

Renaming a status affects other workflows - status are not part of a workflow, they are referral items in a global list.  Renaming a status will change the display name in every workflow.

Deleting a status (not removing it from a workflow, but deleting from the global list) does affect all the workflows currently set up to use it.  Atlassian removed the ability to delete status that are in use from Jira 3.0.

>It's counter-intuitive to me that if I add a status that is used in Workflow A to Workflow B, and then remove it from Workflow B, that it would also be removed from Workflow A.  I'll have to experiment.

It would be counter-intuitive, but that's not what happens.  If you edit workflow A, the only thing you can do that would affect B is renaming a status.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2023

Yes, I knew about renaming from the warnings I received.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events