Distinguish specific transitions between same status pairs in Automation - is this possible?

Chris Fortmueller April 15, 2021

Assume we have status A and status B. There are two transitions from A to B. One called AB1, and one called AB2.

I'd like to trigger an automation rule when an issue goes through transition AB1, but not when it goes through transition AB2.

Is this possible with Automation? Currently, I don't see an option (see screenshot) to distinguish between specific transitions when there are multiple transitions between the same status pairs.

identify specific transition automation.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

It would only be possible if you set a custom field that identify which transition was used. Automation rules runs after the transition is done (after data is written to the database).

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Hi @Mikael Sandberg 

I agree with your recommendation about the custom field, and I wanted to ask a follow-up question:

Are you certain the issue transition automation trigger only catches the event after the transition is completed (persisted)?  That is clearly not true for events like issue creation, which have racetrack conditions in A4J that may require re-fetch because the data is not consistently available at the time a rule is triggered.

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

@Bill Sheboy Yeah, the create event is a bit different, since not everything is in place when that event happens. From what I have seen so far, the transition event will only trigger the rule after it is completed.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Thanks for the info, Mikael.

Chris Fortmueller April 16, 2021

Thanks @Mikael Sandberg @Bill Sheboy 

I was thinking about the custom field solution as well, but thought maybe there is a simpler way.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events